What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garlic shrimp with peanut-lime marinade, stir fry veg, and ramen noodles.

ELN6bVYE.jpg

:)

Had to stay a bit late at work to update a website, so on the way home I got the lazies and decided I didn't want to make a small crust for the grill, so I bought a premade two pack of flatbread, some shrooms (not canned), pepperoni, red onion, some hot hoagie peppers and a chunk of romano cheese. Added some homemade sauce from last week (spaghetti I think) and some leftover pulled chicken thighs. Turned out really good, plus it is smaller than I usually make so only one meal of leftovers, plus I have another crust in the freezer. Served with a generic run of the mill beer.

Beautiful evening for grilling!

11-4-16_pizza.jpg

Oh man! This shrimp is awesome. Next time, I'll add a touch less sesame and a little more ginger and sriracha. But overall, 10/10!

Couldn't get Ramen (aside from the freeze dried bricks), so I went with Lo Mein. Veg was peppers, onion, pea pods and broccoli stir fried in canola oil with just a touch of chinese 5 spice and garlic powder and a splash of soy sauce at the end. Lo Mein was tossed with a combo of olive and sesame oils.

http://www.weber.com/recipes/seafood/garlicky-shrimp-with-peanut-lime-marinade

IMG_4584.jpg

The Flintstones were coming over for dinner.......

Found a NY Strip Roast in the reduced for quick sale section of the meat dept. Hard to pass up $5 a pound and I know that is what @JohnT pays for his steaks that fall out the back of the trucks in NJ so had them cut it in half and threw it on the Webber with some charcoal and pecan wood. Kept a close eye on the temps with a digital thermometer and yanked them off around 135F. Wow, did they turn out fantastic. Served with oven roasted fingerling potatoes with rosemary, thyme and french tarragon. Outsides were nicely charred while the insides were perfectly medium rare......... :hug

IMG_1754.jpg

Last edited:
This week, it was the roast beef's turn to fall off the back of the truck.

Tony Soprano is doing a fine job! Roast beef at $3.79 a pound.

So, for Sunday dinner, I pick up a really nice 4 pound roast. Took it out of the fridge about 5 hours before cooking to let the meat relax. I then brushed it with worchestershire sauce, the coated the outside with cracked black pepper, chopped fresh rosemary, salt, and a little onion powder.

To go with it, I sautéed up some fresh mushrooms, sautéed some thin cut green beans, made some mashed potatoes, made some pan gravy from the beef drippings, and then baked some biscuits (I cheated on this with pilsbury).

I opened a nice 2014 supercab. I was happy to see that I still have a case of this left.

Also, since they are still in season, I also made a nice apple pie for dessert. The wife and I ate like there is no tomorrow!!

After dinner, I left the kitchen clean as a whistle!

What can I say? My wife married extremely well!!! :)

Pic1- the "guest of honor".
pic 2- yup, I ended up cleaning that plate.

IMG_20161105_230712_196.jpg

IMG_20161106_180256_534.jpg

Last edited:
Grilling up a bone-in ribeye (I just don't see them in stores that much anymore) over pecan with a coffee spice rub, baked potato and steamed broccoli.

Making some of Guy Fieri's Sloppy Joe's tonight. Have a few friends coming over - it's great stuff for a crowd.

Took a couple of shell steaks out of the freezer on sunday, defrosted them slowly and (once at room temperature) coated them in salt, pepper, and some fresh chopped rosemary.

I then pan seared them in butter for 2 minutes per side, then popped the pan into a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes.

There is a real advantage to using a pan to cook a steak. With a pan, you get all of those lovely bits of brown "yum-yum" stuck to the bottom!! I took the pan out of the oven and removed the steaks to a cutting board to allow them to rest.

I then added about a tablespoon of flour to the pan and allow that to cook for a bit. I then added about a cup of water, some salt, and some pepper, and whisked until thick and smooth. That pan sauce was to DIE for!

To go with the steaks, I made some whole wheat bread (from scratch), mashed potatoes (again, from scratch), sautéed mushrooms, and some thin green beans. What a meal!

The best part of al of this is that the only part of the meal that I did not already have in the house was the mushrooms. Ahhhh, the benefits of a well stocked kitchen!

The food tasted much better than it looks. I need to learn how to plate a meal....

IMG_20161113_180833_186.jpg

Burgers tonight. But this is what we're having tomorrow. (sorry, a little crazy with the low aperture) Boneless rib roast cooked over charcoal and cherry wood; asparagus sushi, butternut squash 'noodles' with maple spice butter and ho-made bread.

DSC_0375.jpg

Wanted to cook something fun (actually bought the charcoal) but the dreaded front arrived earlier than expected, temps fell from the lower 60's and at last check are 44*F with a stiff NW wind. Purchased some chicken fingers and had some tilapia filets to coat and fry for tonights dinner in lieu of something good and smoked or grilled. Tommorow night will be chicken parm, then a chuck arm roast in the crock pot for Monday. By then the wind hopefully has died down and we'll do some burgers and dogs for Tuesday, Lasagna on Wednesday and Turkey on Thursday.

You may wonder why I actually have planned out a bunch of meals in advance. The idea is not to have to hit the local Giant for things other than milk until after Thanksgiving. It was a mob scene today and I expect it will get worse as the week progresses. The only thing that could possibly make it worse would be an untimely snow event, in that case, God help us all.

Made 2 pots of pasta sauce this morning will let the simmer for at least 4 more hrs, about 6 qts in each pot plus meatballs, my hot sausage, pork neck bones and beef ribs:h. Will freeze most for quick winter meals:db

IMG_0668.jpg

I came home late, so I get the leftover chicken burgers my wife made tonight. And a fruit smoothie. Not exactly sure what's in it (or rather whats NOT in it, my wife dumps everything she can find into it), but its delicious

Very windy here and cold. Worked out another meal that would warm the house up. Fried up some pounded chicken breasts (GF of course), cooked up a sauce using frozen sauce made earlier this year, and poured on the parmesean cheese. Everyone enjoyed, plus we have some for lunches tomorrow, yum.

11-20-16_chicken-parm-1.jpg

11-20-16_chicken-parm-2.jpg

11-20-16_chicken-parm-3.jpg

Back