What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I BBQ a Tri-Tip roast the other day. Way more meat then can be eaten in a single sitting. Tonight it was TT Fried Rice. If I'm hungry in the morning it will be TT over fried potatoes and cheese. I'm doubting I will be hungry in the next 12+ hours.

A few shots from last night's dinner. I started the roast on the kettle with a little pecan wood. But low temps and high winds made it hard for me to keep the cook temp high enough. After about an hour on the grill, I brought it inside to finish in the oven. I also made some bread earlier in the day and served it all up with some 'asparagus sushi' (also done in the oven) and butternut squash 'noodles'. Despite pulling the roast at 125*, it was a little overdone for my taste. I'll target 120 next time. It was delicious, nonetheless.

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4738.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

Last edited:
The Tri-Tip is now in the slow cooker. Beef Stew! Of course as it cooks down some sausages will very likely get tossed in as well, and anything else I can find (lost and forgotten) in the back of the fridge.

Lasagna, the anti-turkey. To be served with fresh italian bread, don't know what the vegetable will be, if there will be one. Conserving room for the big meal tomorrow. Have to make three pies tonight since our main meal will be at 1 pm. It's 20 minutes a pound for turkey (not stuffed, can't get gluten cross contamination in the meat), right? Need to figure out when I've got to get up and put the bird in the oven.

Oh, forgot the important part, served with a nice Valpolicella.

11-23-16_Lasagna.jpg

Last edited:
1) You already have your veg: there's a ton of tomato in that lasagna.

2) Turkey? In the oven? You have a WSM, what are you thinking, man!?

1) You already have your veg: there's a ton of tomato in that lasagna.

2) Turkey? In the oven? You have a WSM, what are you thinking, man!?

1) your right, thank you!

2) I'm thinking fire management at 7 am tomorrow morning. I rarely if ever get to sleep in past 5:30 am. Plus it's supposed to rain. (I know, all cop outs)

I usually buy a turkey on sale right after Thanksgiving that becomes WSM fodder next week, when we get a nice day for smokin' (and drinkin').

Someday I'll tell the story on how a turkey I smoked secured my wife's hand in marriage (I'm serious).

Last edited:
I'm doing the Thanksgiving bird on the WSM, along with a bone-in breast on the Performer. Got the pop-up canopy ready for the morning, if necessary.

Interesting, Menny. Do you plan to roast the turkey on its breast for part or all of the roasting time? I know that there are many ways to approach this but we always roast the turkey on its back. Can you identify the herbs and spices you are using? Looks like paprika and parsley.

Interesting, Menny. Do you plan to roast the turkey on its breast for part or all of the roasting time? I know that there are many ways to approach this but we always roast the turkey on its back. Can you identify the herbs and spices you are using? Looks like paprika and parsley.

Honestly, I have no idea. My brother is the chef, I didn't touch it and I am not allowed to touch it until it's ready... :)

Oven roasted turkey (13.5 lbs), smashed taters, sweet taters, potato bread stuffing w/rosemary and thyme (S & G stuffing), green beans, GF gravy. GF pumpkin pie plus a regular PP and apple pie (granny smith's of course). Served w/Dry Creek Chardonnay and a beer (for me).

Had my MIL down, missing my FIL who passed away this Spring. We'd usually plan on 5 lbs + of extra turkey just for him, he could really put the food down, but he was skinny as a rail.

I will be taking the carcass and cooking up a gallon or so of turkey stock to use for easy soup meals. Plan on turkey pot pie on Saturday or Sunday as time permits. Kids are already pining to go get the Christmas tree, yikes.

11-24-16_turkey-dinner-0.jpg

11-24-16_turkey-dinner-1.jpg

11-24-16_turkey-dinner-2.jpg

Vegan gourmet #notttaditional

First course spring rolls with a twist. Picked red cabbage from the garden.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1480044675.954349.jpg

Second course all about the mushroom.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1480044734.322903.jpg

Third course. Agadashi tofu

ImageUploadedByWine Making1480044780.617539.jpg

Four-Potatoes -American and Japanese

ImageUploadedByWine Making1480044943.807787.jpg

Fifth. Sunset squash soup with plantains.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1480044832.471750.jpg

NUmber 5

Lentil load and cabbage pancakes.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1480044998.547640.jpg

Back