What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 Portions Chicken Breasts
Salt and pepper
¼ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup orzo pasta
¼ cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth

2 cups baby spinach
½ cup artichoke hearts, cut in quarters
½ cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ cup grated parmesan cheese

PREPARATION
1. Heat a deep skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil. Season the Chicken Breasts liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
2. Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from pan and set aside.
3. Add the garlic and orzo to the pan and stir to coat. Sauté 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the white wine to the pan and cook until it evaporates. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
5. Turn heat to low-medium and continue to simmer until orzo is just tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If all the liquid evaporates before orzo is cooked, add a splash more chicken stock. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
6. Remove the pan from the heat. Fold in spinach and stir to wilt.
7. Fold in the artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, and parmesan cheese.
8. Transfer orzo to serving dishes and top with fully cooked chicken breasts.
9. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

Having dinner at Outback in Boulder, CO (business trip).

ImageUploadedByWine Making1467170680.805130.jpg

Took a half day since it is below 80*F and very low dewpoint. Did a bunch of weed wacking (long overdue) and had time to make a leisurely grilled meatloaf. Paired it with garlic-rosemary mashed red skiinned taters and some peas. Yum! No vampires in the house tonight.

6-29-16_meatloaf.jpg

I've got this swimming in the sous vide hot tub for a while. Deciding whether to sear on the CI skillet, or the grill. Hmm, maybe the CI skillet placed on the grill...

IMG_3967.jpg

I've got this swimming in the sous vide hot tub for a while. Deciding whether to sear on the CI skillet, or the grill. Hmm, maybe the CI skillet placed on the grill...

Not sure about your new icon, kinda looks like me (glasses, overweight, receding hairline, etc). What's a CI skillet? How long in the warm water bath to get done for a steak that size? If I got home 2.5 hours before dinner, could I get something like that done in a unit like yours? Thanks for any input.

Not sure about your new icon, kinda looks like me (glasses, overweight, receding hairline, etc). What's a CI skillet? How long in the warm water bath to get done for a steak that size? If I got home 2.5 hours before dinner, could I get something like that done in a unit like yours? Thanks for any input.

CI = Cast Iron

I'm still flying by the seat of my pants a bit with this SV thing. A steak like this will come up to temp rather quickly, but this steak will sit in there 60-90 minutes - rendering and tenderizing all the while, but not overcooking, as the temp remains constant. I think a few hours would be better. I have it set at 124F. After searing, it should be around 130-135. I should probably go down to 120, before the sear, but as I said, still trying to dial things in. I'd love to buy a whole tenderloin and try sitting it in there for hours prior to searing, but I'm not quite ready to do that. Bought a cook book on Amazon that has SV recipe for everything from burgers to veg to large roasts. I need to start working my way through it.

What I really like about this is how it helps me with timing. As long as I have a skillet or grill heated up, I can get everything else ready, then simply finish the meat in a matter of 2 minutes or so once the other stuff is done. I need to cook a pork shoulder, then use this to reheat leftovers. Great way to reheat without overcooking and drying out.

Last edited:
What I really like about this is how it helps me with timing. .

That's my angle. Even today, I got home pretty early, started making a ragú around 3:45 pm, then had to rush it when I realize I didn't leave enough cook time to get it the way I liked it. I'd love to come home, get some sides cooking, take said meal out of a bag when sides were close to done, brown said meat product for two minutes and serve. Just sounds like a better way to cook, especially in the Fall when I don't get home in time to cook and my wife has to deal with all of it. I just get to do the dishes and go to bed.

Decided to try my hand at a Calzone with this weeks fresh Pizza dough from our co-op.

Note to self...... do not make them as big as one of Tom Brady's deflategate footballs! :)

This is but a 1/4 slice of that thing......

Spicy Italian snausage, onions, red bell peppers, shrooms, garlic, fresh basil, kalamata olives, fresh mozzarella, ricotta cheese, fresh parmesan cheese. :hug

Paired very well with a bottle of my 2012 Toscana de Roja (Super Tuscan) blend!

IMG_1244.jpg

This is what I mean by a football sized Calzone! I still have a leftover tub of goodness (innards). Might make a pretty good omelet this weekend. Love having endless supply of Basil this time of year as well. :db

IMG_1247.jpg

LOL There is a full chimney starter load of lump charcoal plus a nice stick of seasoned pecan. This pit doesn't produce as much smoke as other pits (side firebox) but its smoking I can assure you!

We ended up making a Costco run yesterday and they had some beautiful "Choice" Briskets for $5.50/lb. Dug through and found a small one without too much fat. Trimmed it up at 6:00AM this morning, got the rub on and fire started. Brisket was on at 7:00AM. Ribs going on around 12-1PM! :sm

Pit boss in action....thanks Mike for the reminder...:ft

Mike,
Looking awesome! 8-9 hours from now, you will be in Brisket heaven.
I am twitching to put a brisket on my Weber Smoky Mountain
:HB
I posted a question to the charcoal thread on lump vs briquettes.

Steve

Mike you are making us hungry for some brisket, but tonight it's hamburgers and hot dogs at a.friends pool party. I thought I read this might be your first brisket so just want to warn about the stall your about to hit around the 160° temperature range, either let it ride or push the temp up some to get through it. I'm sure this can't be your first rodeo but nobody gave us any info about it so just wana pass it along.

TXWineDuo

Latest posts

Back