What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Here you go...

Edit: steak was rubbed down with SPOG and some herbs de Provence, then set in the fridge for about 2.5 hours. Dressing was a homemade lemon vinaigrette - EVOO, Dijon, S&P, red wine vinegar, lemon zest and juice and a touch of herbs de provence.

IMG_3928.jpg

Last edited:
Wife and kids went to a drive in movie, so I had to make dinner for only me. Found a frozen porterhouse and paired it with some sliced portabella mushrooms and some swiss chard. Had it with some beer to start and red wine to finish. Very tired from my late night last night/this morning. Feeling my age. Took a picture I'll add to Post a Photo, any Photo that has me upset. Not too sure who the guy is in that image, but he's looking old and weary (more than I feel at this point in my life). Getting old stinks.

6-18-16_steak-cooking.jpg

6-18-16_steak-plate.jpg

Went back over to Mom and Dad's today to make lunch for my Dad. My sister and I did fresh melon with prosciutto to snack on, then did panini on the grill. Made them with fresh Tuscan bread, mozzarella, basil, sun dried tomato and prosciutto. Drizzled with a little herbed olive oil and balsamic. No finished pics, but these were GOOD!! Washed 'em down with a Provence Rose.

Mimi-en-Provence-appellations-cotes-de-provence-2015.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

Pork shoulder on At 05:10 off the Weber Smoky Mountain at 6:45. Ribs on at 11:30 off at 6;45 225 F. Happy Fathers Day
Steve

Obtained a few sample publications from work, and all three of them are excellent. Opened the first page of the grilling publication, and it had a write up on doing a sirloin or top round roast beast on either charcoal or gas grill. So I marinated as the directions required for 24 hours, and did it using their method of searing and plopping in an aluminum tray with some holes strategically placed in it. Worked like a charm, did get a bit more done than the images in the publication showed, but all kids (including the youngest) ate and asked for more. Was amazed at the juice that came out as I sliced it, rested it under foil for 20 minutes, would have cooled down too much if I waited any longer.

Paired it with red skin mashed taters, that had added garlic, rosemary, butter, sour cream and garlic. Then I added more garlic. No vampires around the household tonight!

Looking forward to some really nice beefy sandwiches for breakfast and lunch tomorrow.

6-19-16_beef.jpg

6-19-16_garlic-taters.jpg

For father's day we had a feast!

Baby back ribs, BBQ brisket, BBQ sausage, Burgers, dogs, 4 different salads, Fresh Sweet corn, and (believe it or not) Yorkshire pudding (my niece wanted a lesson on how to make it).

For Fathers Day I fired up the Costco Kamodo for the third time since bringing it home. Have to say this was the best smoked meats to date. Did a rack of Baby Backs, a rack of St Lois style ribs and a Beer Butt Chicken. Had sides of fresh tomatoes, potato salad and wife's Caesar cole slaw (a favorite of mine) and home made ice cream. We have a High pressure system sitting over us and we are just cooking these days. We got up to 96 in the shade. When you add in the altitude it feels like 106. We have ~4% humidity and out of the blue yesterday I got probably the worst nose bleed ever. Took it almost an hour to stop.

We are now bone dry with this kind of heat and no let up in sight till perhaps the weekend. Good thing the swamp cooler is working. Works especially well in low humidity like this. Youngest daughter who lives in town still and a good friend of ours who's hubby was out of town this weekend came over for dinner. Here is a couple of pics. Lots of left overs. Ribs do not go bad at our house and the chicken will be awesome as sandwiches with garlic aioli on sourdough bread. This all paired well with a bottle of my 2015 Vino Blanco Spanish white as well as a 2015 Acrobat Rose' of Pinot Noir. A few beers were consumed during the day to stay safely hydrated in our heat needless to say. :sm

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Did a repeat of the Father's Day panini tonight, and added some French Onion Soup. Mmmmmm!!

Last night we did Mojo marinated chicken (grilled over charcoal, of course), Spanish rice and black beans.

Two younger kids are at birthday parties. So us adults (53, 48, 17, 15 yr olds) made some yummy fajitas. Chicken got nice and tender, missed the sour cream. Drank some almost one year old raspberry wheat beer, was amazed that it tasted so good and wasn't overly carbonated (bottle conditioned).

6-25-16_grillin-chkn.jpg

6-25-16_fajitas.jpg

6-25-16_raspberry-wheat.jpg

Got some red sauce simmering on the stove top. San Marzano tomato, onion, garlic, parmesan, S&P, bay leaves, a little dried oregano and rosemary and a boatload of fresh basil. I'll let that go a while longer, then throw in some shrimp and serve over pasta. I've got my "Traditional Italian" station playing on Pandora, my 2013 Valpolicella 'Ripasso' in my glass and I'm in the zone, baby!

Whipped up a batch of fried chicken last. I brined the chicken for 48 hours in a liquid of salt, pepper, and just about every other spice I had. I was amazed at how good it tasted. Brining really does make a difference!

Latest posts

Back