What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight, it's "Roadside Chicken", roasted acorn squash, and a wild rice medley. Washing it down with my 2013 MM Renaissance Aussie Chardonnay. Oaky and rather crisp. Should pair well with the chicken, which is being grilled over charcoal and a little apple wood.

Chicken recipe at the link below. I highly recommend.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken

Pics. Because it DID happen!

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

Last edited:
I know they say I will miss them when they are gone, but right now two of them are downright annoying. The older two had a track meet today and as I started to make my dinner (it was a three dinner night) my daughter texted me that they would be at the school for pickup in 40 minutes. Turned out to be exactly and hour later, then we got to wait for my son to go retrieve his belongings and have a chit-chat session before finding the car.

So I got home, started the water boiling for the pasta, and continued the clams linguine with a sort of Alfredo sauce, see I had some half and half left over from Easter breakfast and didn't want it to go to waste.

A roux with butter, flour and garlic. More garlic. After some more fresh garlic some diced onion, portabella mushrooms, Romano cheese, ground pepper and more garlic. Since I had made the roux and added the shrooms before leaving to pick the annoying ones up, it has a really deep mushroom flavor to it, and of course some garlic. Cooked the pasta about two minutes short of al dente and simmered in the sauce and added the diced clams. Added a bit of cheese and some pepper flakes to finish and served it with a pale ale that happens to be in the keg right now.

Worth the wait. Hopefully I'll get to see my better half before I go to bed. Our contact today was a kiss goodbye as she left the house and I snored, a wave as we passed (I was comming home and she was going to class) and a text. Boy, married with children, can't beat it!

Sorry for the poor picture, but I ate dinner before I realized the food wasn't in focus. What a day.

3-31-16_linguini.jpg

Craig, that sounds really good, but I bet it would be even better if you added some garlic to that!

I have had no problems with bugs, women or vampires hanging around too close this morning. Planning on another garlic infusion for lunch. It is usually better as leftovers and heart healthy!

Craig,

What do you mean by "it was a 3 dinner night". Surely, you did not cook 3 dinners.

Mom always had run a tight ship when I was growing up. Dinner is at 6pm and would remain on the stove or in the fridge until 8pm. After that, the kitchen was closed.

Also, she would cook only one meal (or dish). If you did not like what she made, you either ate it anyway or went hungry. This was really hard on "liver and onions" night or when she would make her sourkraut/sour cream/cubed pork casserole.

Craig,

What do you mean by "it was a 3 dinner night". Surely, you did not cook 3 dinners.

Mom always had run a tight ship when I was growing up. Dinner is at 6pm and would remain on the stove or in the fridge until 8pm. After that, the kitchen was closed.

Also, she would cook only one meal (or dish). If you did not like what she made, you either ate it anyway or went hungry. This was really hard on "liver and onions" night or when she would make her sourkraut/sour cream/cubed pork casserole.

Taco meat cooked and cooled 6:30 am by me.

Dinner 1: Youngest daughter, son and wife - beefy nachos for all (she cooked the left for class) (approx 5pm)
Dinner 2: Oldest daughter and son - they made their own quesadillas and soft tacos from provided pre-cooked taco meat and cheeses (7:45 pm)
Dinner 3: Clams linguini/alfredo - me - didn't want taco stuff and wanted to use half and half and some garlic up (8 pm)

Guess that is 3 eating times and three different types of meals, two of them using the same ingredients.

The fact that when I got home I couldn't sit my big butt in my computer chair and wait until my wife served dinner like my Dad used to gets my goat every now and then. Life was simpler and the man of the house ruled the roost. Now everything seems to be hurried or on the run and the average guy has to be able to cook, clean, make money and take care of the yard just to break even.

Mind you, I don't usually mind that and my kids and wife appreciate what I do to help out, but every now and then I need to have a nice evening and be a computer potato, drink my beer, eat my food, and surf this site.

Tonight is my night and I'm enjoying every last minute of it!

Subway.... [emoji4][emoji4]

About the same here. Had baseball practice until 7:30. Then leftover Dominos from probably too long ago. Kids got taco leftovers from last night, so it is only Daddy who is in danger. ;)

About the same here. Had baseball practice until 7:30. Then leftover Dominos from probably too long ago. Kids got taco leftovers from last night, so it is only Daddy who is in danger. ;)

A little wine with that dinner will disinfect anything that was growing on that there pizza. Works every time!

I swapped some wine for............Elk meat! Good trade for sure. Got some Elk tenderloin for another night and several packages of Elk sausage which is a 50/50 blend with pork. Browned the snausage up and added in to a jar of my favorite Classico pasta sauce and simmered for an hour and dinner is served. Turned out great, not "gamey" at all, the Elk was VERY lean and would have stuck to the pan without the pork. Got a little carried away with the grated Manchego cheese! LOL Went very well with a bottle of my 2013 Toscana de Roja (Super Tuscan) from fresh grapes!

IMG_1026.jpg

That cheese looks very good. I was given Elk once and it wasn't gamey at all, just needed to be paired with a fattier meat like you did since it was so lean. Actually made a batch of ravioli out of it if I remember correctly.

My wife is out of town, so I made a good-old fashioned "bachelor dinner." For me, this is a cheap grade of chuck steak, that I flash-fry with just some Montreal seasoning. A starch of ramen noodles (drain the water, add the flavor packet and oil), and some leftover sauteed greens heated in the microwave. I think it took about 6 minutes to get on the table!

I cannot believe no one else has posted in the meantime!

So, I am still a bachelor, but I went to the opposite extreme tonight. My wife (who is in a time zone about 7 hours ahead of me) reported that she had a nice dish of shrimp risotto and vegetables at a fancy restaurant. This inspired me. I decided to match her dinner (or hopefully better her! :: ). She (foolishly) dislikes scallops, and I love them, so I tend to make them when she is out of town. Rather than last night's 6 minutes, this took about 90 minutes.

Tonight's repast was: turnip greens sauteed with lots of garlic and olive oil. Orzo, which is a kind of pasta, but it looks like rice, so it can be made in the style of risotto; I used homemade lobster stock to make the "risotto". And, finally, seared scallops with lots of garlic and fresh thyme, and a pan sauce made of butter, pinot grigio, garlic, sherry, and lemon. It was so good I had to have my quasi-chef neighbor come over to taste it and give his approval!

scallops.jpg

Nice sear on those scallops. CI skillet?

Funny you should ask. Actually, it was a carbon steel skillet; however, it was a Paderno, which is thicker than most. I love cast iron, and my batterie de cuisine contains too many of these and every other flavor, but I just happened to pull out the Paderno tonight. The turnip greens were made in a de Buyer, and the risotto in a good ol' Revere Ware pot. I really should get rid of some of my pans!

Back