What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL You actually connected soooooo many dots with just a couple of post there Paul........

It seems a Physicist is a Physicist regardless of whether they live in Milwaukee or Los Alamos! :)

And BTW you dinner looked delish!

That reminds me the "old" days....lol

Now I use iPhone on almost everything, well did I say everything? :h

Actual pic of Paul on his cell phone.......

screen-shot-2013-04-03-at-3-04-44-pm-816x553.png

Shrimp, veggies, "tostones", white rice and gandules (green pigeon peas).

ImageUploadedByWine Making1458933699.393293.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1458933753.968801.jpg

Fryday, pizza day. Was out in the garage ducking the wind and pre-cooking bacon for a breakfast the "men" of the church cook on Easter Sunday every year. We normally have breakfast between the sunrise service (which I have never attended since I'm always cooking downstairs) and the normal service. So we are expected to have the meal ready at 7:45 a.m., which means if we can precook some of the meal it makes it easier on us. And since we are men, easy is a word we rally around.

Some of the bacon somehow jumped to the grilled pizza. I think the cat was responsible for doing that...I tried to name her bacon, but the kids didn't go for it. She always seems to turn up when I'm grilling or cooking some bacon, mooch.

Oh, pizza toppings - base of provolone and mozzarella cheese on top of a red tomato sauce, pepperoni, diced ham, bacon, green pepper, onion.

3-25-16_bacon.jpg

3-25-16_zah.jpg

Last edited:
Had a date night last night and went out with some friends to Brio. Close by and pretty good for a chain. Both of us had gorgonzola crusted tenderloin medallions with a mushroom sauce. Mashed taters and roasted veg as well.

Hubby and I had the house to ourselves, so we made a monster gluten free pizza with pesto sauce, bacon, peppers, onions, jalapenos, and black olives. Topped it with mozza and fresh parm. Delicious!

Honeybaked ham, scalloped potatoes, steamed green beans, fresh fruit, corn, etc..

..and I managed to slice off a bit of my fingertip with the mandolin...

For Easter, I made roasted artichokes, citrus-glazed carrots with ginger, sauteed broccoli rabe with garlic and pecorino cheese, rosemary roasted new potatoes, and rack of lamb with a garlic/rosemary/thyme/parsley persillade. Appetizers were Cambozola and Pecorino on pears, and dessert was store-bought tiramisu. The preprandial wine was an Aussie Riesling/Sauvignon Blanc/Marsanne/Rousanne blend (Stump Jump). Washed dinner down with a bottle of Aviary Red Blend from Napa (Cab Sauv, Zin, Merlot, Petite Sirah, Cab Franc.)

I tried an experiment on the lamb. I cooked it via sous vide for 5.5 hours at 126F, then took it out and cooled it down in a cold bath. Then I applied the persillade and cooked it in a 500F oven for 18 minutes to render and crisp the fat. Like a reverse sear, but using sous vide for the first stage. Chilling the meat down allowed me to get a good, crisp exterior without overdoing the meat. Cooking sous vide allowed me to get the meat really tender. It turned out very well.

RackofLamb.jpg

Latest posts

Back