What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night my sister took both of our kids overnight - so date night at home!

Strip loin rubbed in Himalayan Salt and fresh pepper, cooked to rare; asparagus tips; and home made spicy cauliflower & carrot pickles. Topped off with gorgeous Bearnaise sauce.

Martini on the side.

WP_001019.jpg

I just recieved my new electrolux induction cook top....been waiting a while for it.....tossing the gas burning range, and installing the cooktop tommorow...can not wait....so much better then gas are traditional electric... I gave all my copper cookware to my sister...she loved it.

I did kind of an experiment. I bought a small chuck roast, and cooked it loooow and slooow in the oven. I made a sort of herb crust (salt, thyme, lots of black pepper, garlic powder) and put it in the oven at 200 F for about 4 hours. After about 3 hours, I added a roasting pan full of veggies: carrots, parsnips, sweet 'tater, onions, and beets, all cubed and slathered in olive oil.

After the veggies were in for about an hour, they were well heated and softened, but were not at all carmelized. So I took the roast out, wrapped it up in aluminum foil, and then wrapped that in good insulation to keep it warm. (I used my winter coat.) In the meantime, I cranked the oven to 450 to caramelize the veggies. I put the meat back in for 10 minutes or so to crisp it up.

Worked out really well. The meat was very tender, and was only cooked to medium-rare or medium. (Internal temperature was 139F.) Veggies were well caramelized and delish.

funny how a cheap chuck roast can be so good when cooked slow...lots of flavor in the chuck..

Tonight was hanger steak with chimichurri sauce. The parsley was from our CSA (prolly the last of the year), as was the garlic. I also made braised lacinto kale with garlic and white wine. (Pardon the poor webcam pix.)

hanger_raw.jpg

hanger_uncut.jpg

hanger_cut.jpg

braised_kale.jpg

We had our Daughter and our Son-in-law over this evening and I had steak au poivre. I used beef tenderloin, about 2" thick. Three minutes on each side, finished in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Made a sauce from pan drippings, butter, Dijon mustard, cream and cognac. It turned out great if I may say so.

sour grapes, only some one who really likes to cook would have that, nice choice.I bought a 30 inch Bertazzoni Master about 10 years ago and love it.
I wanted to get a bluestar, but could not get it shipped in time for when i needed....just added a cook top, but kept the Bertazozni for the oven...maybe add a convection oven later....
Happy Cooking.

Today I decided to make the stuffed cabbage. Here's a picture before cooking. I'll take another when they are done. Wine for the evening, I think a Petite Syrah is in order.

20131107_114034.jpg

holopchi has very little ground meat, and mostly rice, where in the us
cabbage rools have more ground meat then rice...in fact it is almost entirely ground meat...cooked are simmered with a red sauce...

Back