What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get a picture of the tuna carpaccio but trust me molto bene!
On deck, calamari crab cakes mussels in red sauce. Served with
ImageUploadedByWine Making1450997722.718696.jpg
Steve

Real food.............

72ca4d31cce4e0aef0679ea77f420573_zpspl4f7bz3.jpg
:HB:HB:HB

Drove with family to Spring Hill, FL. Christmas Eve dinner, LOTS of food including pork, salad, lasagna, pasteles, drinks...[emoji485][emoji485]

The lasagna was awesome, served with a salad and fresh bread. We started the evening with some antipasto. Amarone was flowing. After dinner, we enjoyed a nice amaretto.

Little preview of dinner...Ham boner, sweet and regular potato fries and some homemade dinner rolls. Will also throw in some cranberry sauce we didn't use at Thanksgiving, a bag 'o salad, and some apple pie and cookies for dessert. And of course some wine. What goes with ham?

12-25-15_ham-boner.jpg

12-25-15_taters.jpg

12-25-15_rolls.jpg

Since the ham won out over Pizza last Friday, we moved it to tonight. Standard fare, GF pizza (not pictured), ham and provolone stromboli, white pizza with pepperoni and bacon, red pizza with pepperoni and bacon, and a green pepper/onion/mushroom/bacon/pepperoni with red sauce, yum.

12-28-15_pizza2.jpg

12-28-15_pizza1.jpg

Hey, it's almost been a week, let's see some food!

Wifey had to work, didn't get a batch of beer going early enough, so decided to cook something for lunch. Cooked up some turkey burgers on the grill and finished them with some taco seasoning, then made a GF batch of nachos for my son and a batch for me. Mine had some diced jalapeno and wing sauce with the seasoned turkey and cheddar cheese.

Paired it with a kegged Yorkshire pale ale from last March. The beer is nice and spicy, the clove taste is waning which makes it more drinkable.

1-1-16_nachos.jpg

1-1-16_beer.jpg

I made these last night.
BACON WRAPPED SMOKIES WITH BROWN SUGAR AND BUTTER –
Ingredients
1 pound Bacon, Cut Into Thirds
1 pound Lil’ Smokies (small sausages) 1 stick Butter
2 cups Brown Sugar

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Cut the bacon into thirds and wrap each smokie.(small sausage)
3. Place all the wrapped smokies in a single layer in a baking dish.
4. Then melt the stick of butter and then 1 cup of brown sugar and stir until mixed well.
5. Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture on the smokies and bacon.
6. Then take the other cup of brown sugar and sprinkle evenly over the smokies.
7. Bake them for about 15-20 minutes and then turn the heat up to 400F for about 5 minutes or longer until the bacon becomes crispy.

001.jpg

Beer marinated skirt steak skewers. Roasted corn and red pepper salad. Black beans and Spanish rice.

image.jpg

Making a lamb stew. It is simmering away, and I am salivating away. Lamb shoulder, carrots, onions, leek, mushrooms, butternut squash chunks, diced browned potatotes, garlic, beef stock, zinfandel, sherry, soy sauce, seasonings..... can't wait!

what I cooked!

Have been away for a while. I had from 12/24 through 1/3 off!!

I started so optimistic having not had this much time off ever! I planned to do so much during the down time. What I did not count on is catching a really nasty head cold on Christmas. I am still battling with it now.

I did manage to do a bit of cooking though! On Christmas Eve, I made a full prime rib dinner! 4 rib roast, mashed potatoes, sautéed asparagus, and awesome Yorkshire puddings!

Gndma's nutroll

The corner stone to any holiday meal in my Hungarian family is nutroll. My uncle was supposed to make it for Christmas but backed out at the last minute. I got the call late on 12/23 asking if I could make it.

SURE!! Nothing is more fun than the grocery store on Christmas eve! I got there just after it opened at 7:30am and it was already a complete ZOO! I never seen so many picked clean shelves! It reminded me of a Havana bodega on Tuesday morning...

Luckily, they had everything I needed. I started out making the dough (flour, egg yolks, sugar, yeast, sour cream, and enough butter to give an elephant a heart attack). I kneaded it for 20 minutes, let rise an hour and then kneaded it again. (PIC 1)

While the dough is working I made up the nut mix. 3lbs of walnuts that were blitzed in a food processor, egg whites, sugar, and a shot of vanilla extract (pic 2)

Rolled out the dough into a disk. With all the butter in the dough, it never sticks to the counter! (PIC 3)

Spread nut mix over disk (PIC 4) and roll up "burrito style" (PIC 5). Recipe makes 4 loaves. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

(Sorry, forgot to get photo of finished product)

IMG_20151224_115206_602.jpg

IMG_20151224_115220_634.jpg

IMG_20151224_115407_799.jpg

IMG_20151224_115630_696.jpg

IMG_20151224_115703_183.jpg

IMG_20151224_120504_188.jpg

Latest posts

Back