What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight was your annual Xmas Dinner out with our BFF's. Went to dinner at Sazon which is one of the hottest places in Santa Fe at the moment.

Had a wonderful dinner and we dined on Rack of Lamb, Wild Pacific Salmon, Beef Tenderloin and even Wild Duck Breast. I was tasked to pick the wine of course. Hard to find something that goes with Beef, Fish, Lamb and Fowl so I picked a bottle of Grenache' from Spain that ended up being a hit at the table. The evening continued later with a performance of the Nutcracker at the local Lensic Theater, followed by a late night stroll along the historic plaza downtown.

Wonderful meal, and a wonderful evening!

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 9.36.49 PM.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Sounds like a lovely meal! I hope you saved me a doggie bag.

I thought for sure the kicker was going to be that nothing paired with all of those foods, so you just had to have multiple bottles of different wines. :D But, seriously, I think Grenache was an inspired choice for such diverse fare (not that I am any pairing expert by any means). Sounds LOVELY. And decadent. Bordering on sybaritic. Wish I were there!!

Very nice place. They have several Kiva fireplaces around the restaurant all with fires going in the Winter, service was impeccable, every plate was amazing. Dinner for 4 with a round of drinks and an app before dinner plus a bottle with the main course was right at 4 bills with TTL. Fun to go play tourist afterwards and walk around the plaza window-shopping as well.

12339238_10203951571908588_7706401129327715502_o.jpg

That place looks very nice..!!

Got the carcass from the other night's roast chicken dinner in the oven to toast the bones a bit. Then into a pot for some stock which will become tonights soup dinner.

Very nice place. They have several Kiva fireplaces around the restaurant all with fires going in the Winter, service was impeccable, every plate was amazing. Dinner for 4 with a round of drinks and an app before dinner plus a bottle with the main course was right at 4 bills with TTL. Fun to go play tourist afterwards and walk around the plaza window-shopping as well.

12339238_10203951571908588_7706401129327715502_o.jpg

Gotta love that you have snow on the ground in NM, while we're seeing upper 40's here in the Chitcago area! :h

a couple of weeks ago I had pasta Bolognese that came with a reall neat shaped pasta. It was rolled up on itself to form something that looked like a trumpet. It really held the sauce nicely.

Over the weekend, I managed to find some of that same shaped pasta. So yesterday it was Sunday meat sauce, equal parts ground pork, beef, and veal) made with my own jarred crushed tomatoes. I let it simmer for 5 hours. YUMMY! served garlic bread and a glass of my super cab..

After gorging myself on this, it was down to the mancave for a nice fire and the rest of the bottle of wine.

Just got to LOVE sundays!

IMG_20151220_170831_718.jpg

IMG_20151220_141000_897.jpg

While eating out a couple of weeks ago, I came across this really neatly shaped pasta. It was coiled into a "trumpet" shape and it sure did a great job holding onto the sauce.

It took me a while, but I managed to find some at me local mega-mart. So for sunday it was my meat sauce made with ground pork, beef, and veal, and my own canned crushed tomatoes (that I made this fall).

Served with garlic bread and a nice glass of my super-cab.

After stuffing myself, it was down to the mancave for a nice fire while I sip through the remainder of that bottle of supercab...

IMG_20151220_170831_718.jpg

IMG_20151220_141000_897.jpg

Green Chile Stew can be made with just about any type of meat and potatoes. Beef stew meat, chicken, pork butt and in this instance we used Italian sausage. You could also use Owens or any other sausage.

Your biggest problem is in finding any green chile in your neck of the woods. Frozen is always better than canned. Whole foods may have something better than those tiny cans most stores have in the "mexican food" aisle at your local grocery store.

Here is a good basic Green Chile Stew recipe. We did not add the bell peppers but the rest of it is good. We also added in some oregano and cumin which they don't have.

If you can get some decent chile (hot) then you will need the dollop of sour cream. Flour tortillas are also a nice side dish to boot.

That sounds (and looks) delicious. Are those mini pork meatballs? Got a recipe you like? And a pairing suggestion?

Not technically dinner, but try roasting holiday Peeps that are covered in peppermint on open fire!

Steve

All set for my Christmas eve dinner. I got my hands on a 4 rib prime roast at $5.97/pound... Here is a drawing of my butcher (he has a couple of sidelines)...

images

After my purchase, I had to give him a lesson on manners ...

Seriously, Here is my planned menu..

Rib Roast
Yorkshire Pudding
Asparagus
Baked Potatoes
Sautéed Mushrooms

I also got assorted cheeses/salamis/crackers, salsa/chips, and two pounds of shrimp for the "ultimate shrimp cocktail".

How about you folks?

Last edited:
Headed to church with my family, my parents and my mother-in-law. Then we're all headed back here for dinner. I'm making Ina Garten's lasagna. This is the best lasagna I've ever had, with Italian sausage, goat cheese and all the 'traditional' ingredients. We'll also have a salad and some fresh bread. Still torn on what to serve with it, but I have several good options.

Hey, I got my Rib Roast from the same guy! He got me a beautiful one for the exact same price! :db

Think I will do a reverse sear on him with some pecan wood and charcoal IF the weather cooperates. We have pretty good Winter storm hitting us sometime either Friday or Saturday so may have to just go full oven. At that price I may just buy another and freeze it. Smith's (Kroger) had New York Loin steaks for $3.99/lb as well.

Going to have dinner at a families house who has us over every year for Christmas Eve dinner. Usually some type of large hunk-o-beef since she is the business manager for a stockyard. We bring dessert and wine, then if we can talk our family gets the honor of lighting the advent candles at the church we attend tonight.

Then back for my wife to play Santa and me to pretend I'm a highway worker (I supervise and lean on my glass of wine).

Latest posts

Back