What would you do if you won the lottery?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd pay off everyone in my family's bills. Build me and my kids a house (and no not a fancy one). And the I'd see who in the world I could help the most, either with housing and training for the homeless or something else. Can't take it with you so may as well put it to use to do some good. I'd also sell my business and do what I like for once.

I would payoff all my debt, put $$ aside to cover my daugter's college education and also my grandson's education. Family members would obviously receive $$$. After that I would buy a sizeable piece of property and build a house for myself and immediate family (try to get off the grid as much as possible). If the children wanted to build as well I would help with that. After immediate spending was complete, $$ would be invested and I would hopefully be able to live off the interest.

Not sure on all the details. But I do know that I've always wanted a house with a moat and drawbridge. That would be cool, especially if the moat was a trout stream of sorts.

Great subject, JohnT. I think many of us have pondered this fantastic event at one time or another. One of the states has the slogan, "All it takes is a dollar and a dream" and I always thought that captured the essence of the lottery. I don't think any reasonable person thinks he or she will win but it is worth the dollar to dream about all the things one would do with the money. Of course, it would depend on how much the pay out was, but I have a plan that I would put into action immediately. So as long as we are fantasizing, say the payout was net $100 Million, I would do the following:

- $25 Million to the Wounded Warrior Project
- $25 Million to friends and family (excluding my Daughter and Grandchildren)
- $25 Million to my Daughter and Grandchildren (in the form of a trust managed by my Daughter)
- $25 Million to my favorite people in the World, Bev and me!

I would not go crazy spending our money but there are a few things I would like and one is pictured below. It is just outside of Pienza, Italy in the Val D'Orcia in southern Tuscany. In its present state, it needs a whole lot of work and due to restrictions in that area, all work has to be done in the original manner of construction. I figure the house, land, orchards and vineyard (Sangiovese grapes!) would cost about $500,000 and the repairs/improvements would be another $500,000. I would spend about 6 months in the States and 6 months in Italy each year. That would be my dream!

Pienza home.jpg

For starters,

Prior to clocking out of my current job for the last time. I would find thank each and every person that it was a pleasure to work with for the last 22 years. Then I would find and tell the remaining people how I really feel about them. :)

I haven't given it much thought after that.

Steve

First, I would take care of every family member.
Second, I would buy a 20 bedroom house, with a 20 foot fence, and hire every stripper in Houston, Texas to work for me, Naked.
End of story....

so many thoughts, some already mentioned above. But one I didn't notice...buy a Canon EOS 70D and a couple of lenses and some other accessories.

Steve

Nothing different than what I am doing. I am happy and content. I am married to the prettiest gal in Pennsylvania, Have over a dozen excellent employees, three great children and five grand children. winning the lottery would not change much, Sure I would have more money but I am not sure I would be happier!

My mother and brother would be set for life.
Not having to worry about them, would be enough to bring me to tears.

I could then afford to chase my dreams, without any second-guessing.
And chase it down, I would..

I would tell Mike, yes now we can retire. I would pay off any student loans and/or mortgages the children had and just have a freakin good time!!!!!!!

Half would go into the bank in order to live off the interest. I would give my 2 brothers in law, my sister in law, my inlaws, my 2 brothers and my uncle each an ATM card for an account with $1 million. I would also tell them that's it - don't come asking for more. I'd pay off the local church's mortgages and start a scholarship in my parent's name. And I'd like to leave a legacy to my kids by purchasing the biggest farm in NC/SC/VA that I could buy (putting in a bunch of Muscadines of course).

Contact a money manager and attorney before telling anyone and buy a brand new car for me and my wife. I'd like several hundred acres and a big a$$ estate with all the bells and whistles. Then I would travel but own only one property. I would know what my monthly interest was so I can stay within budget. Besides helping the obvious I would go after those in unfortunate situations through no fault of their own like fire or natural disaster of health to ensure the kids are taken care of. Priority would be private nonprofit organizations rescuing animals.

My brother in law once told me I was so cheap if I won the lotto I wouldn't change anything. I disagreed I told him I would probably start using High Test instead of Regular. :D And of course all those things everyone else already said.:h

OK, so out of all of us, I think PJD wins! You are sure a lucky man. Truely Blessed!

The reason I came up with this is that I have personal experience in this area..

A number of years ago, I was sitting in my office and heard a large commotion outside. When I got up and looked, I saw a friend of mine (Sue) shaking like a leaf. My first reaction was that she had been attacked, but as she turn to face me, I noticed that she had two slip of paper in her hands (one was the pick-6 ticket, and one was the results).

My first reaction was to say "calm down, there is not way you won". In response, she handed the ticket over to me so that I could double check the numbers. Sure enough, they were a sopt on match.

Turns out, she and another friend of mine, who have been buying lottery ticket every week for 20 years, hit for $29 million. I kid around with them from time to time to say that I should have ran once if figured out that the lottery ticket was a winner. Of course, I would never do anything like that. I suffer from the fault of being an honest man.

I had a chance to observe how little they and their lives changed over the last 10 or so year. I have to say that their's is a happy story.

But the question remains of what I would do if I won the lottery.

Me, well i think that I differ from most. I am torn between two things...

I could either build an army such that would make all that oppose me bow in submission...

or

Perhaps I could just simply see to some home improvements.

Tough Choice!

Back