What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a wine tasting with one of my sisters. Sampling Reisling, Chardonnay, Merlot, a blended wine 50% zinfindel 25% merlot 25% syrah, Cranberry Breeze- 80% cranberry, 20% Pinot Grecio, a Cab and lastly a Chocolate Raspberry Port with dessert. Bakervinyard

day number 6 of 13 straight. Tomorrow to Bowling Green Ohio, then Pittsburgh for the week. Off on Saturday to hopefully get some wine making completed or started. Looking forward to the Chilean wine class in Erie.

Jim, the bread looks great, I just brewed a very big brew today, I saved 4 individual batches of grain, 4 cups each in ziploc bags, so I can make a bunch of it, I double the recipe that I have, it makes 4 loaves which last a few days. I took some good advice from Bakervinyard and used a "mother starter" and some Honey...the biggest problem is the bread disappears fast!!! At least it gives me an excuse to brew...LOL....who would have thought, multigrain bread fuels my brewing...LOL

My Rj 2013 Cab/Shiraz kit arrived yesterday. I am picking up frozen crushed barbera d alba grapes with frozen juice today (Vino Superiore) and I ordered blackberry purée to make my first non grape fruit wine following Julie's' recommendations. The rest of January and February will be busy. Soon I will have 50 gallons of wine aging since beginning this hobby last August and I have yet to bottle and taste the fruits of my labor. I bottle WE Sauvignon Blanc and WE Pinot Gris in about 6 weeks. Can't wait.

Ice skated my way to Ohio this morning. Hopefully ODOT will discover what a plow and putting down salt do to a road before I have to leave for the drive home. Hopefully I am able to get downstairs and rack the Skeeter pee our of the buckets and into glass this week.

Well, we are having a blizzard today. One of the worst of our season. AND, our natural gas supply to the area comes from Canada and they had a major pipeline explosion yesterday. So the energy company has asked everyone in Fargo to dial back their thermostats to 60 or below. AND temps are plummeting down to -25°F tonight. What else is one to do but spend time down in the wine cellar?

Pulled out an old bottle from my wine cellar. I made this 13 years ago from local crabapples and wild plums. I have to say it has aged nicely. It still has very distinctive crab apple flavors and the plum astringency has mellowed nicely. It has taken on an orange caramel color. This was bottled in a 12 oz beer bottle with a crown cap, so no cork issues to speak of. I'm amazed that there is virtually no sediment in the bottle after all this time. I guess because I aged it for almost a year before bottling. I have many other old wines that I need to taste one of these days.

1044432_10100374273549939_1133257244_n.jpg

1620521_10100374273574889_986454556_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yet another trip to my LHBS...
- 2 cases clear 750ml bottles
- 1 case clear 375ml bottles
- #8 corks for the 375ml bottles
- jar potassium metabisulphite

It was a beautiful day here and I just could't stay inside one more day.
I drove into Corpus Christi to see the new statue on the bay front. It's called Wind Dancer and was sculpted by a local artist to 'honor windsurfers and all wind sports enthusiasts.' It's about 20' high and really stunning. Oh and look at the sky and water! No photo enhancements at all, just an iPhone picture.
Sorry to all my snowbound northern wine buddies. But it was a great day to be outside.

wind_dancer.jpg

wind_2.jpg

Looks like you had a nice day today, Lori. Weather is still crappy here, 9 inches of snow yesterday, 2 inches today and another inch tonight, temps are going to stay in the single digits, Tuesday night going down to -11 and only a high of 2 on Wednesday. This means we probably won't have school on Wednesday, which means this girl will be wearing jeans to work!!!!!

Well, we are having a blizzard today. One of the worst of our season. AND, our natural gas supply to the area comes from Canada and they had a major pipeline explosion yesterday. So the energy company has asked everyone in Fargo to dial back their thermostats to 60 or below. AND temps are plummeting down to -25°F tonight. What else is one to do but spend time down in the wine cellar?

Pulled out an old bottle from my wine cellar. I made this 13 years ago from local crabapples and wild plums. I have to say it has aged nicely. It still has very distinctive crab apple flavors and the plum astringency has mellowed nicely. It has taken on an orange caramel color. This was bottled in a 12 oz beer bottle with a crown cap, so no cork issues to speak of. I'm amazed that there is virtually no sediment in the bottle after all this time. I guess because I aged it for almost a year before bottling. I have many other old wines that I need to taste one of these days.

1044432_10100374273549939_1133257244_n.jpg

1620521_10100374273574889_986454556_n.jpg

Wow! Looks and sounds lovely!

Manthing and I have been talking about buying a chest freezer for awhile. We went to Sam's club today and they had several items we wanted but couldn't purchase because we didn't have the room in our freezer.

So, today was the day. We went to Lowe's and picked up an 8 cubic ft freezer. I know it wasn't a glamorous purchase, but I anticipate a whole world of wine making about to open up for me!

This means we probably won't have school on Wednesday, which means this girl will be wearing jeans to work!!!!!

Woo hoo! Please tell me that you don't have to always wear dresses.

We are supposed to get the coldest weather in a decade this coming week....

This has been a crazy winter for sure. They are calling for ice here again on Wednesday too. I want to plant but I'm afraid to.

Ugh, highways are pretty much closed down around here. We had the in-laws over for dinner and we're waiting to hear that they all made it home safe. It's been over an hour and a half since they left and it's usually a 30 min drive.

The wind is blowing so hard and cold that it literally steals your breath and makes your eyes water (then the water freezes).

I dream of living in Canada every week, then I read posts like this and realize I probably wouldn't last 20 minutes.

Made it down to Penn State for the two day workshop. Passed up two cars over turned and one semi tractor turned over. Not a lot of snow, but very high winds which are causing white outs and drifting. Stopped at Seven Mountain winery and had a very interesting wine. It was Vidal Ice Wine with one little extremely powerful hot pepper placed in it. It was called Fire and Ice. They said it sells 2 to 1 to the ice wine without a pepper in it.

Latest posts

Back