What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lorie, no not required but I do.

the_rayway, I hope your parents made is safely! We had a couple of highways here close down yesterday afternoon but it wasn't for long.

Hubby had to turn around and come back home the roads were so bad with random white outs... I didn't hear him come back in the house an hour and a half after he left for work - thought there was a ghost in the house! I'm not working today either so maybe I'll rack my port again and start some blueberry/quad berry sp :)

Made it down to Penn State for the two day workshop. Passed up two cars over turned and one semi tractor turned over. Not a lot of snow, but very high winds which are causing white outs and drifting. Stopped at Seven Mountain winery and had a very interesting wine. It was Vidal Ice Wine with one little extremely powerful hot pepper placed in it. It was called Fire and Ice. They said it sells 2 to 1 to the ice wine without a pepper in it.

Sounds interesting how was the workshops??

I know it's not the same as the northerners but it's a lot for us if it happens. Guess we will go to town so I can get my prescriptions filled today instead of Wednesday. May stop by the LBHS to see if there are any kits I need to start. Seems like Tuesday and Wednesday may be good wine working days. ImageUploadedByWine Making1390829466.704485.jpg hopefully it will be pretty enough to take pictures.

Lori we had pretty much the same nice weather yesterday and the water was flat...so much so, that in about 30 minutes i am grapping my waders to see if i can catch a few large flounder for dinner....
and we have a front coming in later, might be good for some big ones.

Ahhh it was back to work today and still bloody cold! Spent 6 hours in a barn whose doors and windows wouldn't close and it was -30 something with the windchill and the wind was ripping right through this old barn... Sometimes I miss my old cushy office job lol

Just returned home from a two day course of wine sensory training at Penn State. It was nice to meet many professional and amateur wine makers along with three guys from the American Wine Society working on getting there certification from the AWS for wine judging. We smelled a boatload of bad wine. The class was not geared to picking out all the nice aromas from wine but rather to pick out all the bad aromas and faults.

That sounds very interesting bad or good... I'd find it fun but then I'm a newbie and anything wine tasting/learning is fun!

Minor grocery shopping, check the Blu-Pom, supper/cleaning up after, finishing plugging in info in the spreadsheet from Sour Grapes, currently sipping Dragon Blood and working on a price comparison spreadsheet for my wine-making items ( am a meticulous receipt keeper, so I have all my previous receipts from LHBS and grocery stores.) Hopefully later I'll be chilling with my hubby and more Dragon Blood catching up on our Sunday and Monday TV shows (Archer, Bob's Burgers, and The Blacklist)

Mucho-Mega-Uber Thanks again for sharing the spreadsheet Sour Grapes! It's AWESOME and I totally picked it up with ease!

Minor grocery shopping, check the Blu-Pom, supper/cleaning up after, finishing plugging in info in the spreadsheet from Sour Grapes, currently sipping Dragon Blood and working on a price comparison spreadsheet for my wine-making items ( am a meticulous receipt keeper, so I have all my previous receipts from LHBS and grocery stores.) Hopefully later I'll be chilling with my hubby and more Dragon Blood catching up on our Sunday and Monday TV shows (Archer, Bob's Burgers, and The Blacklist)

Mucho-Mega-Uber Thanks again for sharing the spreadsheet Sour Grapes! It's AWESOME and I totally picked it up with ease!

Oh, gosh, Gina, you are very welcome. I am very pleased that you found it at all useful.:e

The furthest north I want to live is North Georgia:fsh

Ya might want to rethink that after the last couple days of gridlock in Atlanta.
They said that yesterdays rush hour is still in progress! 13 plus hours to get home for some folks. People sleeping in grocery stores and Home Depot for the night.:slp

The other day bottled six gallons of Syrah and racked the Skeeter Pee. Spent all day yesterday cleaning and de labeling bottles.

Ya might want to rethink that after the last couple days of gridlock in Atlanta.
They said that yesterdays rush hour is still in progress! 13 plus hours to get home for some folks. People sleeping in grocery stores and Home Depot for the night.:slp

Looks bad out, but I'm retired and am home bottling my RJS Gewurtztraminer and may start my Eclipse Stag's Leap District Merlot after I take a nap :i

I am staying in as I did all day yesterday. there is a sheet of ice on all the roads anywhere near me. I live in a mountainous area. I doubt I will be able to get out until midday friday.

I have to go outside to get to my winery. I just may have to rack some scuppernong/white grape and peach today. Hope so. I have to walk back around my house to wash everything as the pipes on the deck in front of my cellar winery are frozen. Temps in the teens, not a good place to wash stuff.

Last edited:
I'm visiting my daughter just north of Houston we had a full day of freezing rain yesterday so my windshield was full of ice. Well, being from the south I didn't know heating up a frozen windshield with the defroster could turn a 8" crack into a 4 ft crack in the windshield.
Sitting in the the auto glass shop getting a new one.
On the bright side, there's a nice brew shop I'm heading to next.

julie, i do will not drink out of plastic, period.
I carry cocktail glasses with me where i travel to...I can not stand plastic anything.....My hat is off to you lady.
I have found at times, it is nesecarry, but I kinda hide my head when drinking from plastic.
I remember colored aluminum glasses when I was a kid. I can't imagine drinking from them today. I'm a glass only freak as well.

WOW you really have one? I would like to hear more about it. Do you use it for wine or other purposes too? Is there a link to one for sale (no I don't want to buy it) so I can see what it looks like.
Just found out we have one at work. I'll have to learn to use it.

New Castle-20140123-00156.jpg

Latest posts

Back