What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove north of St. Louis area to a little town called Elsberry and picked about 160 lbs of Norton grapes. Really nice looking, a few raisins. The grapes are a little dry, but I think they will be usable. The brix are about 23.5, ph 3.7 and tables, as the crowd reported of about 0.7. This aren't bad numbers for Norton at all. A little Mlf, cold chilling and this should be quite tasty.

Taking the 4 hour drive home from Athens, GA. We attended the UGA vs Vanderbilt game yesterday and saw a disappointing defeat. My oldest hopes to be accepted and attending up here next year.

Quick grocery store run early AM, as I was out of half and half for my coffee. After the coffee was made, the boys and I made some chocolate bark. Mmmm! After lunch, cut the lawn then met up with my family to do a charity walk for Chron's and Colitis (my mom has Chron's), then out to an early dinner. When we got home, Mrs. Boatboy made me make some white chocolate bark (caffeine in regular chocolate gives her headaches). Now I'm kicking back.

Left house at 6:30am to make it to PI wine when the doors opened. Picked up Concord and Traminette juice. Did yard work most of the afternoon and finished up with oldest daughters softball game. Started sauce earlier in the day so a very late pasta dinner for the family. Tomorrow I go under the knife for bilateral hernia surgery. Had to get it done before the snow flies and shoveling!

Drove north of St. Louis area to a little town called Elsberry and picked about 160 lbs of Norton grapes. Really nice looking, a few raisins. The grapes are a little dry, but I think they will be usable. The brix are about 23.5, ph 3.7 and tables, as the crowd reported of about 0.7. This aren't bad numbers for Norton at all. A little Mlf, cold chilling and this should be quite tasty.

I think you will be a happy camper with that finished wine. My cynthianna this year had excellent numbers as well. It's really a wonderful wonderful wine IMHO.

@Matty_Kay I have Traminette brewing now. Do you plan to backsweeten and if so, what SG do you plan to target?

I never made before so not sure if/what sg to back sweeten to. Any recommendations?

@ Boatboy24 & vernsgal- thank you

@heatherd and vernsgal-This is my first time with Traminette, not sure what sg I'll backsweeten, if at all to, any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would say around 1.010 would probably be good but don't go any higher and put your acid on the higher end

Good Luck on your surgery!

Last edited:
Looking forward to heading to Northeast PA on Friday to pick up some juice. Getting the usual, Concord, Niagra, Catawba, Fredonia, and Seyval if available.

Where you headed to?

Most likely Mazza. Prices are good and I was very satisfied with their juice last year. Concord and Fredonia were dark red with great flavors. Discount for quantity purchases. I think anything over 50 gallons gets you a 10% and between 25 and 50 gets you 5%.

Nothing....day 2 of bilateral hernia surgery recovery, everything went well. My 36 hour self imposed pre surgery recovery assessment was waaaayyyy too aggressive. But, feeling better today

Latest posts

Back