What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking coffee and watching deer meander though my older brother's back yard. Got rather chilly overnight. Son said he saw an eight point buck at sunrise.
Hmm, apparently does not know it's "game" time!:gb

Hmm, apparently does not know it's "game" time!:gb

He has more than 50 acres that are posted. They have come to figure out it is a safe zone. As I sat on the porch sipping my coffee I could hear acorns falling in the woods, looked up to see a bunch of oak trees. On the lower end of his property is a small stream that always has some water flowing through it. So food, water and safety. Plus most of his neighbors have 50+ acres, so not too much human activity in the area.

I am nervously waiting to see which Pittsburgh Steeler team shows up today against the Jets. I am convinced that there are parallel universes both with a Steeler team. One is great and one is horrible. I hope the great one shows up today. I am encouraged because the great team seems to play dressed in black jerseys.

Got up at 4:30, had two cups, headed into the 600 acre wood with my bow and arrow at 6. Saw some nice bucks, just need another year on them. Took a doe for management (and feasting) purposes. Cleaned said deer, iced, cleaned up at the camp and settled in for the three hour drive. Was really looking forward to a golf nap when I got home, but alas, no golf on TV. How It's Made nap will do just fine.

Finished it this morning. Very happy with my results, especially considering I injured myself two weeks ago. Ended up almost 30 seconds under my desired per mile pace.

Great job. I'm limited to around 6 miles but not complaining. I envy all of you who can do more.

Today is press day for the Lanza Syrah. Other than that, I think I'm laying low. After yesterday's run in the morning, then back downtown again in late afternoon for the Caps game, I'm ready for a day of rest.

Well, was it and enjoyable Chard?

Reserving a review for another taste. It's a sturdy chard with good structure. It would have been better to have it with dinner (and we had the off dry chard for the fire). It's got some edges to it. So, I'm wondering if it needs a little exposure to soften it a bit. Will see this afternoon.

Making a super batch of Rocky's Famous Sauce (Gravy for you New Yorkers). When it is finished cooking and cool, I put it in freezer bags and freeze it.

Here is a picture of the ingredients:

Tomato Sauce
Diced Tomatoes
Tomato Puree
Onions
Red Bell pepper
Garlic
Carrots (Sorry JohnT)
EVOO
Italian Seasoning
Crushed red pepper

100_1124.jpg

Last edited:
Making a super batch of Rocky's Famous Sauce (Gravy for you New Yorkers). When it is finished cooking and cool, I put it in freezer bags and freeze it.

Here is a picture of the ingredients:

Tomato Sauce
Diced Tomatoes
Tomato Puree
Onions
Red Bell pepper
Garlic
Carrots (Sorry JohnT)
EVOO
Italian Seasoning
Crushed red pepper

That looks good Rocky! I had to look up EVOO though lol My son inlaw does one similar except he uses broccoli.It sounds "wrong" but it's really quite good.

Some days I have all planned out, like today, and they don't go as planned. Original plan - go pick some study materials at the church for sunday school (my turn tomorrow to moderate), head into town for a hair cut, hit the local grocery store and pick up some chicken and something big I can do on the smoker tomorrow, get charcoal at the local hardware store, gas, head home, start doing wine stuff before noon.

Reality - head to church by 8:15 am, realize it is a "work" day at the church, help dig/shovel gravel, etc etc. Head home at noon. Feed kids. Head to local store and find out it is going out of business. Find chicken but nothing large to smoke (notice shelves are getting really bare). Head to hardware store which is in transition from Truevalue to Ace, place is a mess, get some charcoal. Hit the gas station and get home by 2:30 pm. Start charcoal and pound the crap out of some chicken breasts. Come down here to log on to some sanity for a moment. No wine making got done, my back and legs hurt, I'm tired and ready to go to bed. And I still have a long beard and a full head of hair. Oh bother.

Daughters softball game this morning, running errands and put ribs on the smoker alot later than intended, 4pm. Another half hour and I'll wrap in foil, butter and a bit of beer. Should finish up around dark, I hope.

Haven't been home on a Saturday since mid August. In the winery with a cup in hand at 6 AM, filled out and put wine tags on every commercial bottle, one tag for each group of wines I have aging. Set up and ran a chromo on the Chileans.
Racked the water out of the new 40l Vadai, and cleaned it out really well. Put the double batch of Fourtitude (made with Zin skins) in the barrel, corked 8 750's for topping up, plus a 375. Took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch. Weedeated, edged, and mowed the lawn. Topped up and sulfited the 3 other Vadai's, racked the peppermint mocha. Looked at the chromo which had dried, Chileans suck, 4 months, no dice. Bout to crack open the Fourtitude 375 and call it a day.

In florida for our annual vacation. We stopped at Endless Crush winery for some Florida muscadines and brought home some bottles for consumption.

Looking forward to laying on the beach and hoping no one mistakes me for a beached whale and tries to roll me back in the water....

Latest posts

Back