What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to fear Rocky, I only made eight batches of beer this year and around 30 batches of wine. I enjoy both but my passion is wine.

"I am beginning to think beer making might be almost as much fun as wine making and you are rewarded much faster!"

Father, for give him, for he knows not what he says. :)

Rocky that was great. Let me tell you some more of Phils sins! LOL Ahhh Heck I'll just get 'ol revjavadude to confiscate all his wine and use it for communion wine. LOL :wy

PJD, I hope you know that I was just kidding around. I like beer, too, but I have never tried to make any. All of the homemade beer I have tried (and I can't say that it is a lot) has a very distictive "watery yeast" taste to it and virtually no carbonation. I may give it a go some day. I don't drink a lot of beer other than in the Summer when working in the yard and I enjoy many of the Samuel Adams offerings.

Waiting on an oil change on my truck in lieu of going to L'Uva Bella on Saturday......waiting isn't one of my strong points....

Had to rack my Pinot Grigio tonite, its a damn shame that I had a quart left over, too much to add to a 5 gallon carboy....I was forced to drink it.....I swear to you they twisted my arm....that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
I guess my son will be picking my daughter up from work tonite.....

HEading down to the cellar soon to start reaching wines I think. I may even start another batch of skeeter pee so that it's ready for spring. Maybe I'll have 2 batches started before Christmas. LOL

Heading down to the basement myself to start bottling. I have over 30 gallons to take care of today.Carboys are lined up and ready to go.

IMAG0676.jpg

PJD, I hope you know that I was just kidding around. I like beer, too, but I have never tried to make any. All of the homemade beer I have tried (and I can't say that it is a lot) has a very distictive "watery yeast" taste to it and virtually no carbonation. I may give it a go some day. I don't drink a lot of beer other than in the Summer when working in the yard and I enjoy many of the Samuel Adams offerings.

I like the Cream Stout, but I really liked the Michelob Porter better. Unfortunately, the Mich Porter is either discontinued or just unavailable out here in the stix.

Heading down to the basement myself to start bottling. I have over 30 gallons to take care of today.Carboys are lined up and ready to go.

IMAG0676.jpg

Dan, some of those carboys appear to have a bit of air space. Have you had any oxidation problems with any of your batches?
I am guilty of leaving the same amount of space in a few carboys. I did have a problem recently on one batch that had a high PH. It was Frontenac with a PH of 4.0
SJO

sjo said:
Dan, some of those carboys appear to have a bit of air space. Have you had any oxidation problems with any of your batches?
I am guilty of leaving the same amount of space in a few carboys. I did have a problem recently on one batch that had a high PH. It was Frontenac with a PH of 4.0
SJO

I normally have the same amount of air space in mine and I don't have a problem with oxidation. It's either dumb luck or some other force at work, but everything has turned out fine so far.

Rich, it took me about me about two hours to bottle the wine once I got started. Does not include set up and clean up.

SJO, all of the carboys are topped up except the one in the foreground. The light is deceiving on the others. The one in the foreground is port. Yes it is short of being topped up. This is by design. A good port will have some oxidizing character to it. Yes I did achieve exactly that as I was trying to do. Good catch and I also would ask anyone else the same question if they posted a picture like that. This port was fortified to 19 abv and has 9% residual sugar. I used American oak on it.

Went back to the local winery today, tried an amazing Catawba wine, I've never had Catawba before, but it is sweet with a rich taste and a hint of "musky" like Moscato. The winery will crush them for us too!
We tasted a bunch of wine new to us, it was a great day!

Dan, I want to try some of that "Sammys Blend" Catawba/Fredonia blend! I actually thought it was the other way around with 75 percent Fredonia. I guess I will blend my Fredonia with elderberry, bench trials show that it will be an excellent blend.

I just opened the first bottle of Chocolate Hazelnut Porter that was brewed November 24th. Wow, what a beer! This one is a keeper!

Dan, I want to try some of that "Sammys Blend" Catawba/Fredonia blend! I actually thought it was the other way around with 75 percent Fredonia. I guess I will blend my Fredonia with elderberry, bench trials show that it will be an excellent blend.
Phil you know you're more then welcome to it. Maybe when Julie comes up north in her "one horse open sleigh" you can hitch a ride.

Still looking for a 35,000 Hp motor. If anyone has an extra one in your garage, please let me know....

In other matters, as soon as I finish my final Enology Fundementals term paper, I can start to stabilize the 14 gallons of Skeeter Pee, start a batch of Cran Lime Pee, another Cran Pom and a Caramel Apple. But first I'll have to put together a treadmill for the wife so she can train to run the Pittsburgh Half Marathon next year....

"But first I'll have to put together a treadmill for the wife so she can train to run the Pittsburgh Half Marathon next year...."

This isn't what you need the 35,000 HP motor for, I trust. :)

Latest posts

Back