What is Better

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TARRENEL

Reaction score
I just ordered a wine equipment starter kit and it comes with a hydrometer. I wanted to know is a hydrometer better to use then a refractometer? I don't want to waste all that wine to take a reading with a hydrometer if i can just use a couple of drops and a refractometer.

Thanks,
Noob Wine Maker

I have only used a hydrometer but once you get the hang of it the use is quite easy. As for wasting wine there is no need to. Just make sure your wine thief, test jar (cylinder) and hydrometer are clean and sanitized and dump the wine back in.

I just ordered a wine equipment starter kit and it comes with a hydrometer. I wanted to know is a hydrometer better to use then a refractometer? I don't want to waste all that wine to take a reading with a hydrometer if i can just use a couple of drops and a refractometer.

Thanks,
Noob Wine Maker

You won't waste any wine with the hydrometer as you will just place it in your primary, get a reading then remove. If you need to place some in a beaker to take readings before sweetening you will return the wine back to the carboy.

A refractometer will be far more accurate but not needed for the novice.

It is an essential tool for the grape/fruit grower. The refractometer will tell you how much sugar is in the drops of wine and can be used to follow the wine till it's dry. A hydrometer is the best for now. No wine wasted.

With a refractometer you really need s spread sheet to detrmeine any sg once the must has started fermenting as it measures the bend in light and any alc will dramastically change that bend.

Like the others said a refractometer is used mainly to determine the amount of sugar in the grapes letting the vineyard owners know the best time to pick. I use the refractometer and hydrometer both during my wine making process. As Wade eluded to, you have to use an excel spreadsheet through out the process with a refractometer. I find the hydrometer more accurate, especially if you can find one with a short range. Why do I use both? No special reason at all but I like the spreadsheet for keeping notes.

I don't put the wine from the test beaker back. I use it for Quality Control:dg

Thank you for this info . I asked about the wasted wine cause in all the videos I have watched. they tell you not to put it back into the batch. I will start off using the hydrometer and then learn more about the refracto,( I have some vines growing in my yard, no grapes yet thou). Thanks for all the responses.

A refractor can be real handy when setting your brix pre-ferment, especially if you don't have much free juice for a hydrometer sample. And when you are working multiple vats because it saves time. As everyone said,tho--don't use once you start fermenting because alcohol interferes. Handy in the vineyard for ripeness and for fruit just to see where the brix is at.

Latest posts

Back