Stuck at 1.001 for about 10 days now

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shemagra

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am making a Master Vintner Sommelier Select Italian Pinot Grigio kit. I used KV-1116 yeast. Rehydrated it with nutrients, fermented open until 1.020, I kept the temp at 60 with glycol, added the recommended nutrients at 1.048, had a slowing of fermentation at 1.005, so ramped temp to 68 then 70, it picked up until 1.001. I have stirred the yeast back into suspension twice, but no luck. I was planning to pitch 1118 after rehydrating with nutrients and then adding in some wine over time to try and acclimate the yeast. I read on here about adding equal parts wine to starter volume every 30 minutes. Is that what folks would recommend? I have been monitoring gravity through a Tilt, and I have double checked the gravity against my hydrometer and I get the same readings on two different times in this batch.

Large changes in temperature can affect the yeast negatively.

What was the OG? KV-1116 should be good to 18% ABV, so that's unlikely the problem. It is entirely possible that the yeast is done -- most ferments stop at SG <= 0.998, but I've had a few that stuck at 1.000 to 1.002 for no reason I could determine.

If it were me, I'd rack it into a carboy and leave it for a month, then check the SG. It's safe if it's under airlock.

Patience, Grasshopper

Have you calibrated the Tilt and regular hydrometers with distilled water. It would be strange if both have the same offset but one never knows until it is checked. Your actual gravity may be lower or higher for that matter.

Have you calibrated the Tilt and regular hydrometers with distilled water. It would be strange if both have the same offset but one never knows until it is checked. Your actual gravity may be lower or higher for that matter.
I have checked these with my last batch, but not with this. Both were spot on. OG 1.105. Thanks for the advice. Doing nothing is easier than something. Next steps would be racking, clarifying, etc. it sounds like the recommendations are to just rack and wait a while before clarifying, etc?

I have checked these with my last batch, but not with this. Both were spot on. OG 1.105. Thanks for the advice. Doing nothing is easier than something. Next steps would be racking, clarifying, etc. it sounds like the recommendations are to just rack and wait a while before clarifying, etc?
Yup. If the wine is still fermenting, you can't clarify it, as the yeast will produce more solids. The best course of action is to put it under airlock and give it time.

Put the carboy in an area with a stable temperature, 65 to 75 F. I ferment at 63 to 67 in my cellar in the fall.

Latest posts

Back