What do you folks think?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhughes

Reaction score
I've been kicking around an idea for the last few months, and the other day I dropped Wade a note to see if I could hit you folks up for some feedback. I've been given the ok, so here we go :)

So, the idea in a nutshell goes something like this... I like many of you, have wondered about the thoughts and experiences others have on different kits. Sometimes we're looking for a recommendation for a specific varietal, or feedback on a specific kit. I started thinking what if the was a central place where people could write reviews of some sort and share experiences etc. Then people could search kits by different criteria and see what others thought and get some general and potentially specific info as well.

I threw up a sample site (http://www.winekitreview.org) that captures a starting point for the concept. I would be very interested in your feedback in the following areas:

• Do you think this is the type of site you would use? Contribute too?
  • What information would you hope to see?
  • What should people be asked to include in their reviews?
  • What ratings do you think would be valuable too see?
  • Anything you think would make a site like this more valuable?

Thanks in advance!

Wine Kit Review

To simplify the response process, I'd like to see a form format that the reviewer would check off. The form could deal with differenct aspects of the kit covering kit quality, kit making, taste, overall satisfaction, with a space for free text commentary. I think this would simplify the process of feedback that would allow some statistical comparision between products.

I'd would be glad to provide feedback and also look to a page like this for guidance of my future kit purchases.

Paul

It would also be important to capture any deviations from the basic kit instructions and ingredients.

It is a great Idea I would certainly participate. Are you thinking of doing it as its own website, or as an extension to this site?

As a beginner looking to get my first kit, I think a review system like this would be great. To expand on PCharles suggestion, a system similar to what many websites use for customer product reviews may work. With a series of predefined scores that accumulate to create an "average" score, and the ability to look at each review and any notes the reviewer may have entered.

Even without, simply creating a topic for each kit would be very helpful.

Great Idea!

On another forum I belong to they have a product review section. There are several measures that you can give a 1-5 rating on. Then space for a brief narrative. The great thing is that it is searchable by mfg and alpha so you can easily compare brand a b c to see which is the best. You can also enter the price which is nice. The header of the page shows a picture, mfg description, average price, rating etc, then on down to the reviews.

I would certainly give my input

Here is a pic

review1.jpg

review.jpg

You can PM me if you want and I will point you in the direction of the site I am talking about if you want to nose around and see how they have it set up

Last edited:
Great Idea. I make mostly kits and I would contribute my 2-cents.

LOUMIK:b

I think it's a great idea. I would certainly use it and participate. My only suggestion is that you keep it very simple, yet informative. If it's too cumbersome, people will not take the time to provide input.

AJ, Hi, I'm new here. What do I think? I like it. Some graphics would be good. By the way, would prefer something a bit more topic descriptive for the post rather than 'What do you think'. Could be anything really, might grab some attention but might miss some too.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. There have been some really great comments so far. In the next day or two I will post a first draft of a possible review form incorporating much of the feedback received for further comment.

I will also take a crack at changing the thread title.

As far as the question about whether this would be a standalone site; I had originally assumed standalone site, but would be open to an extension of these forums. Quite honestly, my motivation is simply a desire to see the information shared/available, so I'm not fussed about where it resides or even who owns the site.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Andrew

Back