Sufite gas to protect against headspace?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblythorn

Junior
Reaction score
So I am at that time where I am trying to deal with excess headspace. I see a lot of different solutions posted, but one that I do not see referred to except in passing is sufite gas? Some people mention that when you add Campden tablets to your brew it helps protect your wine against oxidation like CO2 gas because of the sulfite gas it produces. If you add more sulfite each time you rack, would that provide a decent defence against excess airspace?

Free SO2 in the wine gets used up as it binds to contaminants. Campden (potassium metabisulfite) is in the liquid.

After rinsing/spritzing with K-meta solution (2 to 3 Tbsp K-meta in 1 US gallon water), it evaporates and that gas is what provides a sanitizing effect, but it doesn't last. I don't know of a feasible method of generating that much gaseous SO2.

If you want a gas to protect the wine, try argon. Folks also use marbles, but you have to ensure they are lead-free.

Me? When possible I top with a compatible wine, else I rack into smaller containers. These are the easiest methods and are 100% problem free.

Latest posts

Back