Weight Watchers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyDickison

President of Stay at Home and Do Nothing Inc.
Reaction score
So my husband and I (more I than him) have decided to join weight watchers to shed some extra bits. I now have to spend 60 minutes on a treadmill to make up for one glass of wine. How is that fair in the universe. I think their numbers are off. :-(

I think you need to quit drinking sweet wine. I never really thought about it before but when I started making up sample 750 ml bottles that were sweet and saw the pile of sugar I was putting in them...holy moly!

So my husband and I (more I than him) have decided to join weight watchers to shed some extra bits. I now have to spend 60 minutes on a treadmill to make up for one glass of wine. How is that fair in the universe. I think their numbers are off. :-(

Shelley, you don't have to spend near as much time on the treadmill if you turn it on. :)

Seriously, though, a 4 oz. glass of dry wine is between 100 and 110 calories. I don't want to make any presumptions on weight but, as an example, a 150 pound person walking on level ground at the rate of 3 mph for 30 minutes will burn about 102 calories. See this calculator: http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc2.htm

Increasing the incline of the treadmill increases the calories burned.

Runningwolf said:
I think you need to quit drinking sweet wine. I never really thought about it before but when I started making up sample 750 ml bottles that were sweet and saw the pile of sugar I was putting in them...holy moly!

It doesn't list by sweet or dry, just red or white. When I try different types they all came up with 4 points, whether it was Merlot, Pinot Noir, Chard, Riesling or Moscato. I still don't know how they come up with it.

That's the problem with Weight Watchers, they don't want to deal with calories, just points

I think that they feel that wine is wine. The calories can come from alcohol just the same as sugar.

Given the choice, (60 minutes or cheating on weight-watchers), I would have to have a glass of wine and think about it! :):)

Yea, I lost 60 pounds last year. No matter what diet you go on, alcohol is a no-no. One great side effect of going on a diet for me was that because I couldn't drink wine, everything got to age for 9 months. I kept making the whole time and now all my wines are tasting real good and have some aging to them. Good luck!! :br

I found that cutting out fast food and fried foods helped me more than anything.

I just stuck with a 2000 calorie or less diet and was able to lose w/o a treadmill.

I lost 70 pounds in 3-4 months this way - no program or anything - just watched my calorie intake - as you will burn calories all day long just being up and around.

I for one - sit in an office all day at the PC - and I was still able to lose that much - if I were on my feet all day - I probably would have had better results.

Fortunately, dieting has never been an issue with me. I have reached and maintain my "ideal weight." I am, however, having a harder time achieving my "ideal height."

Great line from "Cheers":

"What are you up to, Norm?"

"My ideal weight, if I were eleven feet tall" :)

I just looked at one calorie counter and it said 8 ounces of red wine has 170 calories.

I lost 55 pounds last year with drinking wine. Before my weight lose I would drink 2-3 large glasses of wine a night, now I have 2 small glasses a day. I eat alot of fruit, smaller portions for dinner and way healthier in general. I'm a baker so I don't stop moving all day long. That helps. I don't eat the pastry like iI did before but the warm bread kills me all the time. LOL. Bakervinyard

I do the weight watchers diet, try to stay just under my points, but when Iwant to drink I completely ignore the diet and drink what I want and still lose weight pretty quickly! It is more about fried greasy foods that I eat than drinking, I'm of the firm belief that if you take a bite of it and feel your arteries close about 1/2 way that it's delicious! :h
Just by eating healthier I lose weight, I work on the road so a lot of fast food is the norm. try drinking what you want and I think you'll still lose, if not you may have to quit! ...........dieting, or drinking!:(

Last edited:
Over the last 2 years I was able to drop 70 lbs. While I did go 3 month at the beginning with no alcohol, after that, I did notice that I did better with wine than I did with beer, weight wise. Either way, lots of exercise was a key.

I've been on weight watchers for 5 months and so far have dropped 25 pound never once giving up my wine. I did try to keep each meal around 10 points (of course I weigh 210) that usually left enough points for a couple glasses of wine. I took to walking longer (for more wine). In fact i ate lunch at my desk then walked for 45 minutes durring lunch. Chalk up another glass!!!!!! I love weigh watchers!!!!! It's all about choices :)

I want to say CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who have managed to lose weight. It's pretty clear we have a bunch of great folks here who are trying to get healthy and still enjoy wine! I have been riding on the weight rollercoaster my whole life too. Keep up the good fight!

I hear you, Greg. I have lost abouit 5000 pounds in my lifetime. Unfortunately, I have gained about 5235. I choose not to think of myself as "overweight." I consider that I am "under tall" or "gravitationally gifted."

1st week lose of only 1 1/2 pounds.

While I am not going to go on a tangent of eating properly, hydrating, exercising, etc., your 1 1/2lbs. is a great start. You should only be losing between 2-3lbs. per week.
These ridiculous shows like biggest loser show people losing 10-15lbs. per week. This is not normal or healthy. The other problem is they never show the people how to maintain their goal weight or how to achieve a healthy lifestyle from here on out. It is all about losing X amount of weight. Anyone can lose X amount of weight, it is keeping it off that is the idea.
Ok, small tangent. :)I have been working out and eating clean most of my life so I get a little wound up about these things.

In the end, consistency is the key to anything, whether it be exercising, dieting, work, etc.

Back