WineXpert WE LE2012 Washington Riesling Chenin Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshs

Reaction score
Anyone start this kit yet? Any thoughts? I purchased this weekend from a place that had it on special for $89 so I couldn't resist.

I don't like really sweet Riesling's and this one claims to be "barely off dry". I believe it's a 1 on the sweetness scale.

I have never done any of the LE's from WE but assuming they are high quality. I have a WE Eclipse Pinot Gris that is bulk aging and will be bottled in 2 months.

-Josh

I think this particular LE kit came out in March...so most people who did get it have only had it a couple of months. Some may not even have gotten around to starting it yet. The instructions from the website say that the S.G. should be around 1.001 when it's all said and done. Generally speaking, I don't think you have to worry about the quality of this kit. Should be tasty.

When the LE lineup was announced back in October, it was mentioned that this particular kit will benefit from aging for at least a year.

Thanks for the insight SC. I am hoping to get this going in the next week or two and will post my numbers then.

I have two other whites that will be bottled soon so letting this one go a year shouldn't be a problem. Well, easier said than done.

-Josh

Since it is a LE, I would assume it is a very nice, premium kit. Follow the instructions fully (except for bottling too soon) and it should reward you well.

Opened up this kit last night to make sure I had everything. First off, I didn't realize this was an 18L kit. For some reason, I thought it was 16. Nice surprise!

The yeast is K1-V1116 which I kind of expected but wasn't sure. This is the same yeast that I used in my WE Eclipse Pinot Gris. Directions also look very similar.

It also includes a small F pack.

-Josh

joshs;428754 It also includes a small F pack. -Josh[/QUOTE said:
Small is good, if you don't like it very sweet. The F pack likely has some sweetener and maybe some lite flavoring (apple for the Riesling?). I guess you can reduce the sweetness by holding back some of the F pack, but just realize that if it does have some sort of flavoring, you will be reducing that, also. You can always call WE and ask if the F pack has any flavoring.

I bottled mine two weeks ago. I think for $89, you got a great deal. Since I was a pre-order, I paid a much higher price. Not sure it was worth it. I like it, but I don't love it. Only time will tell.

Taste-wise, it is definitely on the Riesling side, but mostly dry.

Adam

I've made this and it was very good.

If you got it $89, you got it for a steal!

Any updates on this kit? Planning on bottling mine in a month or so. Haven't tasted it in over 2 months and it was very interesting at the time. Still had what I would call some sharp edges but better than I remember it being.

-Josh

I'm going to stick with my earlier response. Good, not great. The acid is more pronounced now than when I first bottled it.

I learned my lesson on limited edition whites: don't. I get just as good results from the regular kits. The only reason to buy an LE white is if you can't get the varietal/blend otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

This thing is crystal clear but I can't get it to fully degas. It has received the same treatment as all my other wines but this is the only problem child. Could it have something to do with the sorbate and fpack? This is my first time using them.

I have been using the wine saver degas method on this one for about a month. Still not there...

Its been sitting at 73+ all summer so I'm ruling out temp.

Thoughts?

I learned my lesson on limited edition whites: don't. I get just as good results from the regular kits. The only reason to buy an LE white is if you can't get the varietal/blend otherwise.

Perhaps your buying the wrong brand of LR kits. I have purchased many Cellar Craft (now KenRidge) and RJ Spagnols LR kits and all of them without exception were flat out amazing (commercial) quality wines.

Latest posts

Back