Water Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmyers63

Reaction score
Okay,

So I keep seeing people reference adding "water wine" to top off their batches. What is water wine?

Just guessing here until someone comes in that has actually done it, but I'd say it's "simple syrup" that has had the yeast added to it and allowed to ferment. Then when you add it to the wine, it doesn't dilute the alcohol like adding "simple water". :D

Wouldn't that just be like a mild rum? Many clear rums are just distilled sugar cane & water.

I made a water wine when I was making Noble Muscadine wine in the event I needed to dilute the batch. As previously stated, it's just sugar, water and yeast fermented dry. I did add acid blend to mine to .65% acid. I didn't have to use it so I have it aging in 2-1 gallon jugs in the basement in the event I ever need it.

I have done this. water, sugar and yeast... once to make a back sweetener that didn't take the ABV down and once to dry for topping off so it didn't bring the ABV down.
I also use one that was really sweet and added lemon juice to it after the ferment 18% and daiquiri sweet.. kinda like skeeter pee but rocket fueled, just for fun. its still clearing so we will see what happens.

Water wine is basically what's been stated above. Can also be related to Skeeter Pee, minus 2 of the 3 bottles of RealLemon

Enough sugar for 11-12% alcohol
Enough acidity for healthy fermentation
Yeast nutrient & energizer
A clean-fermenting yeast
Tannin/banana/golden raisins if you want some body in it

Ferment as usual, degas and clear.

I tend to make my wines with more fruit per gallon than most would attempt, and i pray not to have to use water wine to top off (i try to make 1-gallon extra for every 5-gallon carboy, for topping off) but i've kept it around incase i need it and its paid off

Latest posts

Back