Volcano

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I stirred my bronze scuppernong must today. It was day two after adding yeast. I could not believe it. I must have lost a gallon of must because I had a violent foaming that made me glad that my fermenter was sitting in the bathtub and not anywhere else. I stirred the black muscadine that I started at the same time and it was non-eventful. Any reason why such a violent foaming?

I find that some wines tend to make bubbles and hold on to them while others tend to break their bubble easily. It's like the difference between root-beer and 7-up. Root-beer holds it's foam longer than 7-up.

Even though these two batches were started at about the same time, it doesn't mean that they're at the same place on their journey to becoming wine. That could account for some of the differences.

Are you starting your wines in a primary fermenter (bucket)? Losing a gallon to foaming is more likely if you are in a carboy. Normally, you shouldn't be in a carboy at this stage.

I think there is some law some where that requires pics with disaster posts lol

Been there!!!!!
CopyofVolcano.jpg

I have too, Wade. When this happens, I sanitize my sponge with k-meta, rinse it with water, soak up the wine and squeeze it into my glass. :)

Rocky said:
I have too, Wade. When this happens, I sanitize my sponge with k-meta, rinse it with water, soak up the wine and squeeze it into my glass. :)

Gross. I'd have to b quite thirsty!

Did you use the same yeast?

I did use different yeast. I used Champagne yeast for the muscadine and K1V-116 for the Scuppernong. I did not really understand why the recipes called for different yeast. They are both part of the Muscadine family. I think I am going to try a batch of scuppernong with the Champagne yeast and see what it does.

Back