Mosti Mondiale Vintners reserve Merlot 10 liter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Bubbling away it is! I checked the S.G. a slight increase barely from starting S.G. Guys this thing is full body, this is most certainly a way to increase body. Very thick!

Update:

Squeezed the Muslin Bag of goodies. S.G .992 /?, I will re-test S.G in a week. Daily I will be swirling Primary to Re-Suspend the gross lees.

Looks like its just about there!
smiley32.gif

Update:

Racked to secondary, added French Medium Toast oak cubes 3 oz. I also added pectin Enzyme. This thing is Hazey!!!!!!!!!! which is to be expected, with all of the additional ingredients.

I usually add oak cubes at the clarify step to avoid having them sitting in a bed of sediment, which leads to a small amount of difficulty in racking around the cubes without taking too much sediment, and having to clean and re-add the cubes. Do you plan to rack this batch at all? I haven't made a VR kit in a long time and can't remember if the instructions call for any rackings after day 5-7.

I usually do dust and or chips in primary. Spirals and or barrel during aging. I have done cubes in secondary when the instructions say to leave sediment behind in primary (WE does this), then rinse cubes and add back during clearing. It is messier and I have only done this before I began bulk aging usually for 6-7 months. I now know that if I am aging several months I have plenty time to fiddle with oak options and gives me more reasons to taste often.

Jim, I usually will rack every 3 - 4 months. Usually when I get to the bottling phase after a year. There is little to no sediment left. I usually let mine clear naturally, no clearing agents.

Update:

I will be bottling this one in a few weeks, it has been a year in Carboy. While I bottle. I will of course, drink a few glasses of this one. Im very excited about this one, it smell really good. Cant wait until it gets some age.

Shawn, you should be commended for sticking to this. I sincerely hope you are rewarded for your perseverence.

BTW, where in Columbus? I live in Powell.

Great job Shawn. Let us know how it tastes at bottling.

I bottled a few weeks ago,

Here goes the sniffy sniff (Ode to Gary Vanerchuk)

On the nose oodles of blackberries, blueberries, vanilla and cherries with a hint of plum.

Mid-palate full, round, velvet with a touch of acidity.

Finish - the cherries showed up big time with the blackberries nice finish. The flavor lingered for awhile. I am shocked! I can't wait until it ages more. I will crack open a half in a year and update.

Latest posts

Back