Mosti Mondiale Vintners reserve Merlot 10 liter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnDTurner

Reaction score
I purchased a 10 liter Merlot kit 6 months ago. After reading post here and other sites, It will pretty much waste my time in making this kit.I was thinking I could make a port. I was thinking I could reduce the water. I know this will probably through off the ph and such. Any thoughts on what I can do with this kit?

I made this kit, seems like forever ago. It's not bad and there are some things you can do to help it out. Go to the health food store and pick up a pound of raisins or pick up a grape pack http://www.finevinewines.com/XProdListMain.asp and ferment with the kit. Both will void the warranty, but should really help that kit and give you something to drink while you are waiting for the good stuff to age.
Personally I think its a little thin for a port, but I'm all for playing with your wines.

Make it for the experience. Don't top it off with water, only a similar wine and pick up some Tancor Grand Cru and that should help it out a bit. Don't expect a lot but you might be pleasantly surprised. Should be drinkable in 6 mo. The Mosti Renaissance kits offer a great bang for the buck esp now on sale this month. Also the Cellar Craft Showcase kits are all great as well as the RJS Winery series.

VCasey, you got me thinking! 2lbs of raisins, a grape pack and a few bananas, that should up the body in this baby! Like Mike said it is all about experience!

Shawn

I really don't think you'll need the bananas if you are adding both the raisins and the grape pack. Remember you'll also need to add time for this to mature but should be worth the wait.

Thanks for the advice. I noticed George had a Syrah and Cabernet Sav. grape pack. I was think the Cab. grape pack. What type of raisin do you recommend? Do you think 2 lbs will be enough?

I think most of the raisins you are going to find are going to be thompson or flame red unless stated otherwise. 2 lbs will be plenty with the grape pack and either grape pack will be fine. If you really want to play consider adding 2 lbs of blueberries or blackberries instead of the raisins.

So instead of raisin add 2 lbs blueberries or blackberries. I can get those at the store, should I go fresh or frozen?
Can I assume that blueberries add body as well?

I would get frozen and let them thaw just before you use them. You'll get more juice as the fruit thaws then from using fresh. You can always buy fresh and then freeze.
Yes it will add some body as well

I was thinking with the blueberries and grape pack it may be wise to add pectin enzyme and potentially yeast nutrient around 1.040 SG.

Yes a very good idea to add the PE. I would monitor the fermentation process but if you are using the yeast provided the nutrient may not be necessary.

I was under the impression that y'all didn't recommend adding raisins AND grape packs. The Mosti kits that came with both said not to add both but to to add one OR the other. If you are near a health food store or better yet Whole Foods, look for Organic Red Flame Raisins. I use one pound, rinse them off, soak them an hour or so and dump them in primary AFTER fermentation has started (usually the next morning after pitching the yeast). If this is your first kit I wouldn't stray too far (blueberries, bananas and so on) from the kit, that way it will be ready early and you can enjoy it while you make another kit. As a rule of thumb I look for kits 16L and up, preferably with raisins or grape pack. Also, you can consider adding 4 ounces of glycerine to reduce the thinness and add mouthfeel. Link below. http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListDet1.asp?MM_PartNumber6200A

I have made eight kits all high-end, on a whim I purchased the ten liter. I have a lot of patience and wanted to really use this as an experiment. I was thinking going big.... grape pack, raisins and blueberries. I know it sounds insane, but what the heck!I appreciate everyone's help

shawndturner said:
I have a lot of patience and wanted to really use this as an experiment.

I hope you post here all along the way so we can benefit from your experiment.

Update:

I got my supplies from George. I thought I would post some pics of what I got and the actual kit I am going to attempt to tweak. I have to free up a carboy, I have an Amarone Hernon Bay that is ready for bottling. Ten months in the carboy so I am ready to bottle.

Cant see how to add pics. Anyway here's my current ingredient list.

Pectin Enzyme added before I pitch yeast.
Yeast Energizer added before I pitch yeast and after the first transfer once SG gets to 1.040 - 1.050.

One Cab/Sav Grape
2 lbs of Zante Currants
2 lbs of frozen/thawed Blueberries
5 Frozen/thawed ripe bananas.
4 oz of French Medium toast cubes after Fermentation is complete for 8 weeks.

Update:
I just started this Tweak Of TWEAKS (Vinnters Reserve MERLOT 10 liter).

Here's how the ingredients ended up.

Pectin Enzyme added before I pitched yeast.
Yeast Energizer
One Cab/Sav Grape pack
30 ounces of Zante Currants/Red
2 lbs of frozen/thawed Blueberries
5 Frozen/thawed ripe bananas.
1 lb of blackberries

All of the fruit was frozen and thawed. The starting SG was 1.110. I will take it again in 24 hours from now. Just to make sure I get a true SG, if possible.

This is really going to be interesting. How much additional expense do you think you have so far? In the end you will have to do a cost benefit analysis. Have you done a high end Merlot kit to compare to?

I have yet to do a high -end Merlot, it will be next on my list to purchase. So far about 35 bucks of additional outside of the purchase of the kit. I paid I think for the kit 60 bucks. So around 95 bucks, I can already tell the body is quite full. The must smell amazing.

Latest posts

Back