Toss the Demijohn?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc5066

Reaction score
Want a second opinion. Was given a Demijohn. I noticed this crack. It is from the inside. You can not feel it from the outside.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1450307848.715872.jpg

I know. There is a lot of liquid in there.

I'm just really bumming that I need to toss it.

It is not worth taking the risk of injury - but even worse you would lose all that wine !!

Don't dump the wine, rack it to another vessel. Demijohns make nice accent pieces in rooms or you can use it as a coin jar. No need to toss it, just don't use it for wine.

No wine in it. Was cleaning it when I noticed the chip/crack.

I just bought a bunch of honey to do a huge batch of JAOM. Now I need a plan B to make my mead.

No wine in it. Was cleaning it when I noticed the chip/crack.

I just bought a bunch of honey to do a huge batch of JAOM. Now I need a plan B to make my mead.

I would no personally use it as a coin jar as it is a lot heavier than wine - we actually take all of our pocket change and throw it into a plastic carboy - you cant imagine how much weight is in there in a short period of time

Rack the wine out.

I would actually take a blow torch and heat the spot to try to anneal the crack so it doesn't grow. I don't think I'd use it for wine anymore, but it would make a nice decorative piece.

I know. There is a lot of liquid in there.

I'm just really bumming that I need to toss it.

Just think how bummed you will be if that jug breaks when full. Not only will you have a mess (6 cases of spilled mead) but also the wasted time and money.

Do not use the jug for coins. Even a glass carboy (much thicker glass) can only get 2/3 full of coins until it breaks under the weight.

Use the jug for decorations. Put it in a corner and put long sticks into it...

Remy-Meijers-Hague-Remodelista-03.jpg

Latest posts

Back