Carboy Fermentation Blow Over Solutions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kluch

Junior
Reaction score
Just wanted to share with you all a helpful trick I learned if you’re doing primary in a carboy that you filled up too high. All you have to do is put a little nylon fruit mesh bag over the carboy top, sinch it up and stuff it inside. This will minimize or eliminate the bubbles from coming up and over causing a mess and losing product. The foam/bubbles hit the mesh before they get to the top and pop while still letting gas out. Just discovered this trick last night!
Feel free to share any tips/tricks that you may have related to this.
IMG_1854.jpeg
IMG_1853.jpeg
IMG_1851.jpeg

Another one that worked like a charm last night. Not an ounce spilled over.
View attachment 110843
Thanks for sharing your elegant solution. Very clever and I assume one could also add an airlock at some point with the bag in place.

One caution to you; Don't try to lift those full carboys by that "carboy carrier." You could have a lot bigger mess on your hands than one would get from "bubble over." A number of members have had carboys crack and fail when lifting a full unit by the neck. All it takes is a slight defect in the glass in that area.

Thanks for sharing your elegant solution. Very clever and I assume one could also add an airlock at some point with the bag in place.

One caution to you; Don't try to lift those full carboys by that "carboy carrier." You could have a lot bigger mess on your hands than one would get from "bubble over." A number of members have had carboys crack and fail when lifting a full unit by the neck. All it takes is a slight defect in the glass in that area.
Sadly, have to second this. I moved away from glass in my amateur days much sooner than I wanted due a broken carboy, a cut hand, and a lot spilled wine/blood.

Latest posts

Back