To bottle or not to bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood

Junior
Reaction score
I've got my first kit wine done and its ready to bottle. It's about two months from the date I started. It's tasting better but it's still not good. I hate to bottle 30 bottles of it if its not going to be any good. Should I just leave in the carboy? It's a very good kit but ..... It tastes very weak right now with no body.

I cant really help you but I can ask the questions those that can will ask you. First what ws the kit. starting and ending SG. A lot of the more experienced members buy 6 gallon kits and make 5 gallons with them to make them less thin tasting. Aging longer in the carboy will only help I believe. Every three months or so you should rack and add a bit of Kmeta either 1/8th to a 1/4 tsp
The more info you give up the more help they can give.

New guy but I'll offer my opinion... If it is clear and you're not going to do any sweetening then go ahead and bottle and allow the wine to age in the bottles. Taste test every month or so till it meets your satisfaction or isn't getting any better. Your carboy is now free so you can start another kit.

Last edited:
From what I have learned on this forum I would not be in a hurry to bottle it. Nothing really to be gained by bottling early and you lose the ability to make adjustments.

I just started bulk aging an WE eclipse Cab Sav with grape skin kit. My first kit. I've decided to Bulk age 3 gallons of the wine in a 3 gallon carboy for 6-9months and bottle the remaining 3 gallons after six weeks of aging. Then I will do a taste comparison over the next year. However After 10 days of aging the wine is not terribly expressive. I wish it had more tannins. Let me ask the senior members if it is too late to add tannins once fermentation is complete. Thanks.

I've got my first kit wine done and its ready to bottle. It's about two months from the date I started. It's tasting better but it's still not good. I hate to bottle 30 bottles of it if its not going to be any good. Should I just leave in the carboy? It's a very good kit but ..... It tastes very weak right now with no body.

Immature wine is like eating fruit while it is still unripened. Tart, green, unbalanced, rough.

Rack it and Let it set in the carboy another month, rack again, even if it looks clear (because it won't be... trust me!), and bottle. Leave it in the bottle for a couple months before you try it. Based on the kit (???), it can be 18 to 24 months before it really matures.

As a kit, it likely will never be as full bodied as a commercial.

No one with Wine making experience on this or many other wine forums would ever suggest making a 6 gallon kit to 5 gallons.

I agree! It would throw the wine out of balance.

I did qualify my statement, but I may have misspoke when I said "a lot" and "more experienced". But I know I have seen several posts recommending this practice to lesser kits. Not saying it is correct but I didn't make it up out of thin air.

I wish it had more tannins. Let me ask the senior members if it is too late to add tannins once fermentation is complete. Thanks.

I'm not a senior member, sorry. But you can definitely add tannin after the fermentation. =)

Latest posts

Back