Tiny bubbles....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakhunter

Reaction score
I have a Chilean Malbec that I made from fresh juice. It was my first ever batch of wine and some of you may remember that I added Sorbate even though it went through MLF (rookie mistake).

I have been drinking it occasionally and keeping track of any changes in hopes that I can drink it before the Geranium flavor comes to the front, but also in the interests of science so I know how long the change takes.

The last bottle I opened, I noticed a very faint film of tiny tiny bubbles on the surface when I pour the first glass. At least I think they are bubbles. It is like a light film almost. There is NO fizziness to the wine and when I swirl it around or just let it set for a bit. It goes away. Taste is good. No significant off flavors. I would normally think it sounds like it was not degassed, but this wine sat in the carboy, with an airlock on it, for 9 months before I bottled.

Any thoughts as to where this is coming from? Is it CO2? Is it from the Sorbate reaction?

Thanks in advance

Could just be CO2. Just because a wine has some bubbles coming up does not mean you will taste em. I say carry on and enjoy.

Thanks Seth,

WOuld there really still be CO2 after sitting for 9 months? for future reference, should I degass before bottling?

It is possible depending on the temperature at which it was stored. However, how strong are the bubbles? Can you taste them? can you hear them?

I do not recommend degassing, but their is nothing wrong with it.

It is also possible that is re fermenting in the bottles, but we can rule that one out based on your procedure. What steps did you take to stabilize the wine?

Latest posts

Back