RJ Spagnols Thoughts on Argentinean Trio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyP

Reaction score
I'm looking for something to broaden by white collection and came across the Cru Select Argentinean Trio - a blend of Chardonnay, Riesling, and Viognier. It appeals to me as something I can drink next summer. However, I can't find any mention of the kit. Has anyone tried this?

Also, I've made RJS before and have been very satisfied, but have not made the Cru Select. How does this brand stack up against other brands I like: WE Selection and Cellar Craft Showcase?

Tony P.

Last edited:
Hey, Tony.

I am curious about your not being pleased with the Cru Select line. Which wines do you mean? I have made the Sauvignon Blanc and the Pinot Grigio a couple of times each from that line and I have been pleased. Are you referring to red wines? I don't buy the reds from that series because I would have to add a grape pack. I figure that I may as well go for the Winery Series because a grape pack is about $20.

I have not tried the Argentinean Trio but from my experience with the two whites I have made, I would have no reservation in trying it.

Sorry, but I didn't say it entirely properly. I have not made a Cru Select. So what I tried to say was that I made RJS before and have been very satisfied, but have not made the Cru Select.

Tony P.

I haven't made that particular kit, but I have tried a commercial blend of those same wines that had an eerily similar description of its taste and aroma. That wine was from Chile, though. Overall, it was a nice white blend.

I have this Trio going now and was wondering how long i should keep it in the carboy? Would you guys bulk age this or bottle after the 42 days. Thanks for your help, its my first white.

I made this kit last summer. It is a very good kit. It was one of my better wines. Usually in the whites I stay with the Grand Cru International. But moved up to try this one - I made the right decision. :db

Just to put your mind at ease concerning the Cru Select line, I have done the RJS CS Brunello twice at George's suggestion (Fine Vine Wines) and it is excellent. It is one of the least expensive kits I make but is my family's favorite. My typical kits are the Mosti Renaissance and Meglioli, the RJS En Premieur and the Cellar Craft Showcase. Most of those range from $130 - $200. The MMR is actually about the same price as the RJS CS. Anyway I think that the Cru Select Brunello at least is a fantastic finished wine and excellent value at $111.00. I wouldn't hesitate to order any other CS except that I usually opt for kits with grape packs or raisins which leads me to the higher dollar kits. At $106.00 that $3.53 per bottle, go for it. And report back in a few months.

Latest posts

Back