Thinking we made a mistake..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldone

Reaction score
Well, it's a slurry question.. A friend and I figured we would take a shot at the Skeeter Pee recipe.. We mixed everything as the directions suggested but there seems to be no reaction with the introduced slurry.. Is it possible to add a yeast package to get something started?

How long has it been since you added the slurry? Maybe try giving it a good stir / whipping to introduce some oxygen.

It wont be immediate especially with a skeeter pee. I would make a starter yeast as this is a hostile (very acidic) environment so getting a good yeast starter going is what should be done even with a slurry.

Depending on the yeast strain and the health of the slurry, it sometimes takes a few days to see activity. Under perfect conditions, you can see activity in as few as a couple hours. Keeping it in a semi-warm area will also help it get started. Once, it's rockin & rollin, you can move it back to a cooler area if you'd like.

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll give a whip and see what becomes.. It's only been about 24hrs so time will tell..

Actually.. There's no fermentation going on at all.. It's just sitting here at 1.07 SG. We followed the directions and it's been 4 days with nothing going on.. The slurry we used just settles to the bottom and nothing.. If I add a yeast package.. Would that mess it up?

Well... Nothing yesterday and today.. I have bubbles, bit of froth on the surface so looking like its starting.. Now to get it to 1.05 and finish the recipe :)

Did that slurry finally take off or did you make a starter? Did you warm it up? What do you think got it going? Inquiring minds want to know!!! LOL

I did nothing!! I had planned on tossing in some yeast after work yesterday since nothing had happened.. And poof.. Bubbles and slight surface foam.. Today.. As above..

Guess the suns gotta shine on a dogs butt once in awhile..

So.. Everything is going great and at .096 SG, I racked it and placed it into a clean and sanitized carboy. So.. Curious now... Do you guys top up your carboys? Or just leave it the way it is? Here's how's it's looking!!

image-618389186.jpg

As it is skeeter pee, I usually don't worry about the topping up much. It is usually fast enough nuthin too bad happens to it. I am not sayin it is right, just the way I do it. One more bit of advice, you would be well serverd to start another batch. The stuff disappears like magic. Arne.

That's great advice!! Just need the sun to pop up out here in order to sit out on the deck on a hot day :)

So the recipe called for Sparkloid.. Would using kieselsol and chitosan do the same thing?

That's great advice!! Just need the sun to pop up out here in order to sit out on the deck on a hot day :)

So the recipe called for Sparkloid.. Would using kieselsol and chitosan do the same thing?

Yes it will do the same thing and it is easier to rack off the lees with it than it is with sparkoloid.
Phil

Thanks!! Ya I couldn't find the sparkloid so went with that route instead.. It's clearing nicely

Latest posts

Back