Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trade you a bottle of my coconut for a green apple when you're done.

Sure thing, but no promises you will be getting an equal trade. :)

Pretty much making this by the book. Only changes will be upping the SG to 1.080 instead of 1.050, and racking down to 5 gal. or 5 1/2 gal., etc. to keep the carboys full.

wineforfun

:h so did I just the basic tweaks, you don't need much more...sounds good. :HB

@joeswine
Got to thinking this morning(yes, that is scary) while stirring my must, they must already add nutrients, tannin, etc. to the juice we receive in a kit, correct? Because I notice we never add anything to the juice like making it from scratch and the yeast works just fine.

That's correct it's ready to go what we do with our tweaks is on us.

Joe, I know this is a crazy idea. But, next kit and it will be a big one, I think I'm gonna go straight up and no tweaks....just because I have not done that yet! All my stuff has been tweaked at least a little bit.

mismost

what kit ? what style, making kits straight up is very cool and can work out well, just read know your taste profile before you start, I ve found even little tweaks on big kits make them even better, sometimes I have done them straight up and they were so, so .It all depends.:db keep thinking outside the box.:h.with the last one I did on (wgwgb).if I didn't do what I did it might have been to thin and that was a $160.00 kit.

Last edited:
COCOnUT YUZO

lets review this party wine one more time before we move on, the coconut fpac is outstanding, really.:db

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Island Mist coconut yuzo continued

If you like the summer wine products you need to try this one REALLY!:HB

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

IMG_20160323_114720467.jpg

IMG_20160522_133121197.jpg

IMG_20160616_130430757_HDR.jpg

Coffee port

THIS IS A TRUE WINNER ,ALONG WITH THE BLACK CURRENT PORT,FOLLOW THE FLOW..:h

1 Ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

IMG_20140920_110212516.jpg

Coffee port continued

I HAVE WON 3 BEST OF SHOWS WITH THIS ONE AND ITS TWEAKS...
Cru Coffee Port Kit
The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Coffee Port F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Instant Coffee
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack. We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.
..:ib

9 ph reading.jpg

11 pitch yeast.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

@joeswine Thanks for posting, I will look for this one.

Coffee port

Wineforfun ,I might have gotten it from the wine toy store, range in pricing don't remember, just the outcome is extra special done my style.

Coffee Port First Place - Copy (2).jpg

Wineforfun ,I might have gotten it from the wine toy store, range in pricing don't remember, just the outcome is extra special done my style.

Yeah, I really want to get this one. Will have to keep my eyes open as they release them in a couple months.
Only one I can find now is the Salted Caramel one. Johnd said it turned out sweet, but very good, so may try it for now.

Caramel port

This one turned out to be very nice and had a few tweaks but not a lot, follow the short flow......:HB

1 ingridients.jpg

1.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

Port kits

When e ever your ready I have a Peach port,Carmel l port, black currant ,blackberry,when ever Your ready in 375 bottles easy to ship you a tasting. JP

Port kits

When e ever your ready I have a Peach port,Carmel l port, black currant ,blackberry,when ever Your ready in 375 bottles easy to ship you a tasting. JP and of course Coffee

Latest posts

Back