Other Tawny Port Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not know of any but would be interested of such a product too!

I think the "Tawny" implies special handling and aging as much as anything else.

"When a port is described as tawny, without an indication of age, it is a basic blend of wood aged port that has spent at least two years in barrels."

If you are looking to make a port kit, I have heard from others on this site that, the La bodega Kit by Mosti is to die for. I have made the White Choco White port by RJ and I love it.

Tawny ports get their "tawny" because they have been aged in oak barrels for a long time. I am a big fan of ports in general including the tawny ports. Hardys Whiskers Blake Port is a relatively inexpensive tawny port for someone just wanting to try one. It has a real oak and "nutty" flavor.

I don't know of any port kits that have that tawny taste but I would think any port aged in barrels for a few years would take on the tawny taste.

Tawny ports get their "tawny" because they have been aged in oak barrels for a long time. I am a big fan of ports in general including the tawny ports. Hardys Whiskers Blake Port is a relatively inexpensive tawny port for someone just wanting to try one. It has a real oak and "nutty" flavor.

I don't know of any port kits that have that tawny taste but I would think any port aged in barrels for a few years would take on the tawny taste.

Yes, Whiskers Blake is a very nice port for the price.

What white grape variety would be a good place to start, if you wanted to attempted a tawny port?

What white grape variety would be a good place to start, if you wanted to attempted a tawny port?

I am definitely no expert on port but I doubt any tawny started out with white grapes, a white port yes.

You know, I just assumed they were made with White Grapes of some sort - but you got me thinking and googling and http://ezinearticles.com/?Tawny-Port---How-is-it-Made?&id=691758 So maybe it's time for a barrel? Since the wife would probably boot me out if I took over anymore of the basement for Beer/Wine/Mead - maybe it's time for that second house with the 3 bay garage with a lift and........ Maybe I'll stick with Regular "Red" port for a bit.......

Thanks for all the replies!

I am definitely no expert on port but I doubt any tawny started out with white grapes, a white port yes.

Traditional tawny ports are made from red grapes just like ruby ports. It's oxidation that leads to the tawny character and mellowing of the color. There are variations that use white grapes that can be produced in a similar way, but having never had one, I can't say how the taste compares to a traditional tawny. White wines will significantly darken over long periods of time due to oxidation, so they are probably closer in color. I think the minimum aging in a barrel is two years, but there are categories well beyond that. They're all blended, too, just like other ports.

A true tawny port wine is probably just not feasible with kit. You could mimic the process on your own, in theory, but I think the smaller batch sizes that many home winemakers deal with makes that rather difficult. Much easier to make a ruby-type (or even a white) port.

Oh I guess I was thinking of a white port! My bad... Every red port I've made has started with a red grape. Very very deep in color, almost violet usually. So I assumed a Tawny started as a white then was aged in oak eventually achieving a deep gold color... From wiki: When white ports are matured in wood for long periods, the colour darkens, eventually reaching a point where it can be hard to discern (from appearance alone) whether the original wine was red or white.

I was wondering about the domestic varieties of white grapes that could be used. I have no idea how to translate the portugese grapes, or their equivalent?? — Donzelinho Branco, Esgana-Cão, Folgasão, Gouveio, Malvasia Fina, Rabigato and Viosinho.

How to I translate that?? LOL

True port comes only from Portugal.

"Over a hundred varieties of grapes (castas) are sanctioned for port production, although only five (Tinta Barroca, Tinta Cão, Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo), Touriga Francesa, and Touriga Nacional) are widely cultivated and used. Touriga Nacional is widely considered the most desirable port grape but the difficulty in growing it and the small yields cause Touriga Francesa to be the most widely planted grape."

OK I figured out ONE:
Verhelho = Madiera
Malvasia - there are 12 varieties in Portugal grown (yikes)

Most grape varietals for wine grown in Portugal are native, and you've probably never heard of them...

So would it turn out gross if I made port from Sauternes? I just ordered a kit lol

So would it turn out gross if I made port from Sauternes? I just ordered a kit lol

Sauternes while high in alcohol content, as high as 15 or 16%, is not fortified to increase the alcohol content like port is. You might be able to take a Sauternes kit, fortify it some and end up with somthing similar to a white port. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back