Szia! Any Magyars here?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapaShawn

Magyar
Reaction score
I have watched my Hungarian father grow Hungarian wine grapes in his backyard ever since I was young. It only took me 37 years to finally decide to want to turn them into wine. We live in Southern California and this year is my first attempt to make wine. I know I will crash and burn, but let's hope with the help of all of you, we just might make something worth drinking!!! Unfortunately I think we are already behind so let the harvest begin!

The type of grape is unknown, but they are green, so we know we will be making white wine! Perhaps someone can help ID this one...

2iqk484.jpg

Last edited:
a magyar from nj here. wine is in our blood! welcome to the forum...
my family is from vezprem, but owns a vineyard in lovas (lake balaton region).

egeszegere!!!!!!

as a brother, lets start off with some advice..

1) this forum has great tutorials for beginners. do yourself a favor and start reading.
2) get a light refractometer to test the grap sugar levels.
3) weight you grapes. it should work out to 3 pounds per bottle.
4) if we are talking about72 pounds, you are talking about 5 gallons. this is a great starting volume.
5) get a hydrometer and an acid teast kit.
6) if you need a bit of orientation, pm me you phone number and i will help.

Szia HapaShawn!
Én is magyar vagyok Zalaegerszegről de Kanadába élek. Sajnos nem tudok segíteni Neked mert én bor kitből csinálom a boromat. Hallgass a JhonT-re mert neki , nagyon sok tapasztalata van és nagyon ért a bor készítéséhez .
Üdvözlettel, Tibi

Szia HapaShawn!
Én is magyar vagyok Zalaegerszegről de Kanadába élek. Sajnos nem tudok segíteni Neked mert én bor kitből csinálom a boromat. Hallgass a JhonT-re mert neki , nagyon sok tapasztalata van és nagyon ért a bor készítéséhez .
Üdvözlettel, Tibi

Unfortunately, although from hHungary my family was German speaking. We learned very little of the Hungarian language.

Örülök, hogy megismerhettem az összes! Én nem beszélek magyarul! I do not speak Hungarian either, but I am learning. All my Hungarian family lives in Eger and only 4 of them speak enough English to converse with me.

JohnT: Thank you for your advice! I have purchase a beginners kit and it just about has everything I need. My biggest concern is fermenting at 70-75 degrees F as I do not have air conditioning in my old house and it can get very hot inside when I am away at work. I have considered fermenting in a refrigerator not plugged in to maintain this temperature but I believe I need to keep the first few days of fermentation open to air, correct? It will be the hottest time of the year the next few months here.

Tibi: Nice to meet you. I will listen to John! Gotta love google translate!

Sandor...but please call me Sanyi

I would take a couple of empty plastic soda bottles, fill with water, cap, and freeze. Us a thermometer and add one to your wine if thetemp gets too high.

leave the bucket uncovered until you have a specific gravity reading below 1.0.

By thw way, I have been to Edgar! This is wine central! I remember they have very efficient wineries there. Hope one day to own one.

By thw way, I have been to Edgar! This is wine central! I remember they have very efficient wineries there. Hope one day to own one.

Beautiful ain't it?

My uncle almost sold his small vineyard because of quadruple bypass surgery. After feeling better, he decided to keep the land but stop making wine and just sell the fruit. I am determined to keep it going!

Sorry about my earlier post , here is the translation :
I am also Hungarian from Zalaegerszeg , but I live in Canada . Unfortunately I can't help you because I make my wine from wine kits . You should listen to JohnT , he has lots of experience and he knows how to make good wine .
Greetings Tibi (that is my nickname )

After that post I was thinking that hopefully I am right about his skills . I have never tried his wine yet . (I know he can't make a good wine from Welch's juice . just kidding ):)

Sorry about my earlier post , here is the translation :
I am also Hungarian from Zalaegerszeg , but I live in Canada . Unfortunately I can't help you because I make my wine from wine kits . You should listen to JohnT , he has lots of experience and he knows how to make good wine .
Greetings Tibi (that is my nickname )

After that post I was thinking that hopefully I am right about his skills . I have never tried his wine yet . (I know he can't make a good wine from Welch's juice . just kidding ):)

I for one am shocked! How could a self respecting Hungarian even mention the word Welch's???? :)

Back