Sulfite Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
In May 2014, I made 15 gallons of a Chilean Malbec-Shiraz juice blend with 36 lbs of Malbec grapes. Fermentation and MLF completed, racked, oak added and 3/8 Tsp of K-meta to the wine per 6 gallons. PH is 3.6 in each carboy.
I dont have any sulfite level testing equipment and am mildly concerned on keepin SO2 levels ok for what will be at least 1 1/2 yrs before bottling. Is there a rule of thumb on keeping levels ok based on my conditions.

My HBS recommends 1/4 tsp of k-meta at each racking or 6 months, whatever occurs first.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Tony

Unfortunately there is no way to accurately guess the buffering capacity of your particular wine or the amount of oxygen taken in by the wine. Both of these are significant factors in how much so2 you need and has been bound in your wine. I know that many winemakers are limited in their testing resources but having the ability to accurately measure free so2 is a fairly critical tool to consistently make wines of quality. The fixed additions suggested have a great potential for over adding or under protecting your wine. If you can't acquire your own so2 setup you may find that a bottle of wine and some sweet talking will get your local winery to do the test for you.

Latest posts

Back