strainer bag and smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keena

Reaction score
I have a couple questions. I started some peach wine (I think it was daves recipe) and used a straining bag for peaches. The peaches have been in there for 5 days and I took them out today due to a stinky smell that was quite strong. So Mt questions are, did my batch go bad? It was almost 72 hours in primary b4 I was able to pitch yeast. Also there seemed to me done brown mold looking stuff on the peaches.

Second question, how the heck do you guys clean out these straining bags? I can't seem to get all the crud out of it.

does it smell rotten?

You might have left them too long in the primary before adding the yeast? 3 days sounds abit long to leave in the open?

I normally just wash it, by hand followed by soaking in meta sulphite.

I have a couple questions. I started some peach wine (I think it was daves recipe) and used a straining bag for peaches. The peaches have been in there for 5 days and I took them out today due to a stinky smell that was quite strong. So Mt questions are, did my batch go bad? It was almost 72 hours in primary b4 I was able to pitch yeast. Also there seemed to me done brown mold looking stuff on the peaches.

Second question, how the heck do you guys clean out these straining bags? I can't seem to get all the crud out of it.

the brown on your peaches is more than likely fermenting peaches.

take the bag, turn it inside out and clean all the chunks off then wash it in your washer.

+ 1 for the washing machine. When I sanitize my bucket, I throw the bag in there and wet it good with the sanitizer

I buy my bags at Home Depot in the paint dept (5 gal) and toss them when I'm done.

Yup! They are less than $2 a bag.

Brown + Stink = Possible Trouble in my book. 3 days is a long time for a fruit must to sit.

Did you add the proper amounts of Campden or k meta to the must initally?

Last edited:
Like Julie said, turn it inside out and wash thru the inside, this will get rid of most of the krud. After that, it's still dirty, I have a one gallon ice cream container that if fill with Oxy-clean solution (hot water) and let it soak for a day or two, for some reason this gets it as clean as new. Rinse and let air dry and store it back in the bag it came it.
Semper Fi

Dang, if we had Anj and Barney in this thread, it'd be Mayberry! :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJUmIuc1X5s[/ame]

washing machine here also, bit of bleach then rinse it well, peaches for three days before yeast sounds abit long

jswordy said:
Yup! They are less than $2 a bag.

Brown + Stink = Possible Trouble in my book. 3 days is a long time for a fruit must to sit.

Did you add the proper amounts of Campden or k meta to the must initally?

Yes I added them. Just couldn't get to my wine for 3 days with my work schedule so it sat a little long. You guys think I should dump it?

Back