Spigot leaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get the new spigot, I will try it out. If it appears better, I will let you know.

Im glad that the ceiling was going to be replaced anyway although wish neither had happened to you, ceilings are the worst!

I purchased 4 of the "new style" spigots from George. I have had NO leaks or problems since. They have only one gasket which goes on the outside. I like 'em.
Ray

They should have 1 gasket on each side, are you sure that you just didnt see the inner 1?

wade,

The new spigots only have one gasket. In addition, I am getting very good feedback on them.

Just a follow up. I have made 8 batches in 4 fermenters since changing to the new style spigots. I also take the spigot off and clean between batches and NOT one drip.
I'm sold on the new design.
Ray

I really havent had any problem with my old ones yet except for the occasional drip right in the very beginning but it always seals itself very fast after say maybe 10 drips max but I will have to get some replacements soon just in case.

I only use the buckets for bottling. Leakers were not my problem, but I always do 6 gallon batches and constantly found myself concerned with whether or not the bucket was going to foam over. I now use a 10 gallon Brute for my primary fermentations and couldn't be happier. The handles on the sides make it easy to lift. It is also easy to clean with no concern for the cleanliness of a spigot.

As I have said before I really like the new style spigot. I have been looking at why they work better and I think it is the one gasket. When you use two gaskets the screw nut on the inside cannot get a good seal on the curved surface on the inside of the fermenter. I don't know for sure but I'm also going to try the "old" style with one gasket. By the way, the one gasket would go on the outside.
Ray

I have been using the older twin gasket style for 5 years now and have 4 of them and have never had more then a few drops before they sealed themselves up and most of the time they never leak at all.

Latest posts

Back