Specific Gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

690ride

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my first batch of wine. The wine kit instructions say, that when my sp.gr. is at 1.010 or less after 5-7 days, I should rack into my secondary. Then it will sit for 10 more days until sp.gr. is .996 or less and be ready for stabilizing/clearing. Well, my sp.gr. was already at .996 when I racked into secondary. Is this anything to worry about?

No. It just fermented dry in your primary. If it is thru fermenting then rack, degas, add a clarifier if directed and stabilize.

Since you already racked into your secondary, I would let it sit for 3-5 day to make sure it's completely finished.

Welcome to the forum.

Yep, just let it sit in there the allotted time as that will help the solids settle out and also let the yeast finish doing what they need to. Some wines will go lower then .996

No. It just fermented dry in your primary. If it is thru fermenting then rack, degas, add a clarifier if directed and stabilize.

I was always told to check 2-3 days to make sure sg was stable and didn't move anymore that way it was sure to be completely done and I have always done it this way without any problems. Not sure if everyone does that but I have done it since I was told to.

I am making my first batch of wine. The wine kit instructions say, that when my sp.gr. is at 1.010 or less after 5-7 days, I should rack into my secondary. Then it will sit for 10 more days until sp.gr. is .996 or less and be ready for stabilizing/clearing. Well, my sp.gr. was already at .996 when I racked into secondary. Is this anything to worry about?

Such instructions are most of the time confusing for new wine makers.
Many times a wine's SG will be all the way down to an SG of 1.000 before 5-7 days go by. It's the "5-7 days" that causes the problem for people just starting out making wine.

You know, if the person making the kit's instructions would just say something like, "... 1.010 or less after 5-7 days. However, during this 5-7 day period, take a specific gravity reading at least every other day, in case the wine should ferment at a faster rate than expected".

Now, would that be too hard to say? Maybe I could get a part-time job clarifying wine kit instructions... how hard could it be!

(I will now step down off my soapbox.) :slp

Latest posts

Back