Sparkolloid Lingering on Sides of Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlashJT

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got a question about Sparkolloid and haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. I'm hoping someone else has experienced it and can tell me if it's normal and how I can fix it....

I have two 3 gallon batches of Triple Berry Skeeter Pee that I added Sparkolloid to about 3 weeks ago. I also have a 6 gallon batch of Strawberry Merlot (kit) that I added Sparkolloid to about a week ago. All have cleared very well, and I can see through them easily. However, if you look VERY closely, you can see that there is still some residual sediment/Sparkolloid hanging around the walls of each carboy. It's almost top to bottom, but not continuous...some here, some there. If I slightly turn the carboy, I can see the stuff inside there move.

As best as I can tell, this is just along the walls of the carboy. Everything looks perfectly clear in the middle area of the carboy. I've been monitoring this for several days, and the stuff along the walls doesn't seem to be falling out anymore. It's just hanging there perfectly happy.

I suppose since it's hanging around the walls of the carboy, I could just rack everything out and be careful to to keep the racking cane in the middle of the carboy, away from both the walls and the stuff that's fallen out on the bottom.

The Sparkolloid was prepared per the directions on the package, and the wine is sitting in my basement at a comfortable 70 degrees. Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it normal? Any way to avoid it in the future?

Ya you often have a bit of sediment that hangs up on the sides. Try giving the carboy a twist or two that will get the wine moving just a bit inside. Usually will help it fall free. You could try giving the wine a very gentle stir and that will probably get it moving also. Arne.

Thanks Arne! I'll give the gentle stir a try. I've tried the twisting bit already without much luck.

You must be turning instead of twisting, do it quickly to about 90 degrees and then right back smartly, if you stir sparkaloid to much it may take it longer to settle while twisting it doesnt seem to bother the stuff already on the bottom very much. CC

I just found this as I was searching for a way to clear that in the carboy grooves.Wow did this work a charm I have mine in milk crates I grab the neck of the carboy to steady it and grabbed a corner of the milk crate and twist. Every speck fell to the bottom thanks for this tip

Back