Imperfection bubble on side of carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was difficult to get a clear photo of the bubble on the side of this 1970 Owens Illinois manufactured carboy. I’ve used this five gallon carboy for 25 years and my dad probably had it since 1970 for his wine making. Every time I go to fill it I stare at the bubble and wonder if I should pass on it. But after all it’s been there all these years. For the first time today I noticed some wine diamonds caught in the outer rim of the bubble inside the carboy and I needed to brush them out. Swishing water wouldn’t dislodge them. They probably tucked in there when I dumped the dregs from the bottom. That is telling me that there is a gap or pocket of some kind that I was never aware of. So what would you do? Retire it or press on.

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpeg
    IMG_1825.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1826.jpeg
    IMG_1826.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I would use a carboy brush or a carboy cleaner brush (attaches to drill) and clean that sucker out really, really well. and use it. I doubt it will cause a problem, but then it isn't my wine. If you are in doubt, probably it goes away or gets used to store coins.
My concern isn’t bacteria, it’s will it hold five gallons without bursting.

I would use it and then pass it on to my kids with a few recipes.

Traditional process equipment has pores in the wood, and dissolves calcium off the concrete tanks and the clay amphora eventually show cracks, and modern food inspectors check the gaskets and hoses for cracks, ,,,, Well wine is a food preservation system, and quite reliable even with old technology.

Latest posts

Back