New Winery Space and Cellar Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the addition is coming along but I tweaked my back yesterday so instead of hanging drywall I’m drawing up plans for the new winemaking space. I have a little more than 700 sq ft of basement space to play with. I’ve been thinking about this a lot but this is the first time I’ve put it to paper.

IMG_3065.jpeg

I’m really excited about this space. My only regret is that I couldn’t make
It a walk-out basement. At least there are only 7 steps. I’m drawing up plans for a chair-lift type platform that I can install on one wall to raise and lower full Brutes and Carboys. In the winery I plan on putting all the heavy stuff on casters and getting an AIO wine pump… no more heavy lifting!

I'd redo that bathroom. Move the door to near the stairs & move the sink to be opposite the toilet. Shrink the BR too, you only need enough room to get in, do your business, and the wash up. Other space is wasted. Then from the sink and around the BR to the door - nothing but cabinet tops. Actually I'd do SS tables. One can never have enough tables/cabinet tops. And why all the bench storage in the free standing wine cellar, should be all wine rack. Think I would have tried to engineer in a dumb-waiter.

None-the-less, looks good, I'm always jealous of people with basements (except for the cold weather you have)

I'd redo that bathroom. Move the door to near the stairs & move the sink to be opposite the toilet. Shrink the BR too, you only need enough room to get in, do your business, and the wash up. Other space is wasted. Then from the sink and around the BR to the door - nothing but cabinet tops. Actually I'd do SS tables. One can never have enough tables/cabinet tops. And why all the bench storage in the free standing wine cellar, should be all wine rack. Think I would have tried to engineer in a dumb-waiter.

None-the-less, looks good, I'm always jealous of people with basements (except for the cold weather you have)
Thanks. The “north” wall of the bathroom is a load bearing wall that supports the upstairs zero-threshold shower and free standing tub. I had to cut away 2” of the floor joists so I built the wall to stiffen the bathroom floor. Also the drain for the sink is in that corner… cast in the concrete floor. I could move the “east” wall in and having a pedestal sink. The north wall will remain as-is… that would give me more cabinets space though.

The small cellar has an outside entrance. I had the benches for carboys. I’m glad I won’t have to carry full carboys in and out of there anymore. Here are some pics from when I converted it from vegetable storage to wine.

IMG_0900.jpegIMG_0886.jpeg

Now that I’ll have the indoor cellar I’m not sure what I’ll do with it. I really like the looks of it but it’s hard to control seasonal temperature swings and humidity. I had dreamed of connecting the basement to it but the outdoor cellar floor is almost two feet lower than the basement floor. I did connect them with a 4” pipe… I may try and add a fan to moderate temps.

@ratflinger I do like this better. And if I can find a corner sink, all the better. I don’t have the sink yet but I’ve seen plenty of used ones on FB Marketplace and Craig’s List.
IMG_3066.jpeg
I already have some upper cabinets from my daughter’s kitchen remodel. The space will also be my fish cleaning and butchering/sausage making space.

👍 ChuckD - I like that better, bathroom space ends up being useless. No one wants to see your wine stored there. I've seen commercial corner sinks, but they can pricey, so if you can find one on CL or FB all the better. I like that root cellar, could you put a small mini split in to handle the temp fluctuation? It would help with humidity too.

👍 ChuckD - I like that better, bathroom space ends up being useless. No one wants to see your wine stored there. I've seen commercial corner sinks, but they can pricey, so if you can find one on CL or FB all the better. I like that root cellar, could you put a small mini split in to handle the temp fluctuation? It would help with humidity too.
Thanks. I plan on trying to waterproof it better. Right now it’s bare block and a gravel floor. I could also use another foot of fill over the roof with better grading. The addition may also help to dry it up because I was going to add gutters.

With the pipe connecting the two I’m hoping I can tap into warmer air in the basement during the winter to keep the temps up. The last two years I was using a small ceramic heater and that works pretty good.

Latest posts

Back