WineXpert Spanish Matador Trio Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Just got a call from the store where I can get Wine Expert kits and they said that the WE LE Spanish Matador Trio Red just came in. Mine will be on the way tomorrow.

Let me know when you start it, does it have skins?

No skins But WE did anounce two new skins kits. Amarone w/skins and Brunello w/skins. I ordered the Brunello today.

Yummy. Amarone with skins sounds awesome. So does the brunello. Guess I need more carboys.

Out growing your needs

i THINK IN THIS HOBBY, IF YOUR REALLY GOING TO DO IT,YOU NEVER OUT GROW YOUR NEEDS,JUST YOU THOUGHT PATTERNS,ON HOW TO.:rdo

For anyone interested I received the WE LE Matador Trio Red today. Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon and Monastrell. I've done like 26 or 26 kits and opening this one was quite surprising. There are three separate packages of oak, and a lot of it. 60gr of European dust, 30gr of toasted dust40gr of heavy toast French shavings. That's a lot of oak even by MY standards. The yeast was odd to me too, Lalvin K1-V1116, has anyone used that before? The instructions are different also. They call for a two stage fining process. Step 3 is typical stabilizing and clearing with appropriate stirring along the way. Then you let it clear for 8 days, yep only 8 days. Then step 4 you rack off sediment, top up again and let clear another 14 days. If this kit had raisins or grape pack it would have gotten a 5 star rating form me today. I'm tempted to make this exactly as it is but the last Spanish kit I made was the RJS LR Toro last year. I added Raisins from a Mosti kit and the Toro came out fantastic. So I may just have to drop in a pound of Red Flame raisins. Even though it came with quite a nice selection and quantity of oak don't be surprised if I add a medium French spiral while aging. Any comments or suggestions? What's with that yeast?

I just finished starting this in primary as well and I was also very impressed. Wow, what a lot of oak! I'm doing an experiment with this years 3 Winexpert LE reds. I started two of each, the first exactly by the instructions and the second with an MM Meglioli grape skin pack added. I'm really interested in seeing the differences after a year or two bulk aging.

I have both in bulk aging right now. I did one with a skin pack and there's definately a lot of fruit taste to it with amazing color and aroma. It's so early to comment on the oak flavour as the KT is still overpowering. I'll deal with the oaking after about 8 months in the Carboy when I run them through my barrels.

I'm a big fan of tempranilo so I have high hopes for these.

I got the SMT started last night. Wow what a sweet smelling juice. The SG was 1.095 after considerable stirring. I expected a higher SG given the sweet smell (lots of sugar?). Perhaps it's just extra fruity . . . a very good thing in my book. After 18 hours no visible fermentation but I have read to expect that it may take a few days so show.

Fermentation started slow but finished at about .095 in good time. Clearing went well the wine looks quite good. a sampling when transferring from clearing carboy to aging was a bit disappointing. Actually the taste was quite nice with some nice fruit but my son and I found the mouthfeel a bit thin at this early stage. We both are oak monsters and agreed a few weeks of a medium toast French oak spiral was called for. I assured my son (and myself) that I can adjust the thinness over time with the added oak, additional tannin and a few ounces of glycerin. With those adjustments, the already quite nice fruit taste and six months bulk aging I expect this will be a keeper.

Zeus, I had planned to make this one exactly by the instructions but that's just not me! I did add some Red Flame Raisins and am glad I did given the nice taste. I would not be happy with the thinness given this is a LE kit so I will go off instructions and make it to my liking. If you have the confidence to mold it to your liking I say go for it.

any update on this? i'm interested in this kit.

Tasted this one today. Huuum do I detect that KT so prevalent in WE kits? The wine is good and the color is beautiful. And yes I know in a year or so the KT will go away. I guess I will stick with the new skins kits when I want to do a WE kit. If I had another barrel I'd let it have a ride in there and it would eat up the KT. Right now a tiny Mike Ibglowin is sitting on my left shoulder whispering in my ear "Tony, get another barrel".

Back