Should I top this off further?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I did my first rack. I added potassium metabisulphite, siligel & liquigel as the instruction calls for. holding off on the potastium sorbate until I bottle.

I finally topped off with a bottle of Chianti?
This is the 1st time I have ever topped off any of the 8 batches of wine.
my question based on the picture below, is do I need to top off more?

BTW the bubbles are because my daughter had just finished stirring the heck out of it when we added the clarifier, as per the instructions.

top off.jpg

Last edited:
If you are done with fermentation then yes it should be topped up to within 2 inches of the airlock

cheers

That definitely needs to be toped off with a similar or like wine to the narrow portion of the neck.

Elmer, keep in mind that 2" isn't some recommended amount, it's the maximum space you should have. Measure from the bottom of the bung down and fill until the level is within 2", preferably 1 1/2".

looks like it is still actively fermenting (seeing a layer of foam at the top). Check your SG and if below 1.0, top it all the way up. My guess you might have a day or two to go before you get to that level of SG.

Elmer, you may want to think about lowering your carboy handle to the lower ridge on the neck. I've seen them slip off where yours is. I'm just saying.....

WOW!

Definitely this is an accident WAITING to happen!!! It should be beneath the lower ridge!

Elmer, you may want to think about lowering your carboy handle to the lower ridge on the neck. I've seen them slip off where yours is. I'm just saying.....

Agreed. Move the handle down. The foam indicates some active fermentation. Check SG if lower than 1.000 top it off

BTW, let us know why you needed to add so much wine. I suspect you left too much wine behind when you racked.

Actually for the 1st time when I racked I sucked up most of must and only left what the siphon would not pick up.

I had detailed this in an early post, but I have always been concerned about watering down (which I did one year, by adding 1 gallon too much), that I tend to short change the water.

This time I had a kit that came with 2L of concentrate and I was to add water until I get to 23 liters.
I initially added almost 3 gallons of water. I later went back and had to add another full gallon as my math left me shy one!

When racking the only thing I dont transfer is the much that sticks to the bottom, because the sipon wont pick it up and I cant get it out of the carboy.

Of course with all the muck not in my wine, My wine is still cloudy and I have to clarify the heck out of it, but that is another topic!

I should add that the bubbles was because I let my daughter stirr on and off for about 5 minutes while adding the siligel, liquigel & potasium metabislufate!
Which created bubbles, and then I took the picture!

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Back