sadly, my first vinegar...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
i started a zinfandel blush kit in late november for a friend...all has being going well...i had a 3 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug. i took out ONE bottle out of the one gallon jug for her to take home and taste. we both agreed it was tart. (shoulda been a warning)...i back sweetened, she wanted it a little sweeter.. (no, i didn't add MORE kmeta, but in hind site should have, because i had added it at the end of the kit as per directions)...it was ready to be bottled otherwise...sorry, just sounding off, i just don't understand how it can happen in the middle of winter...i haven't had any flies!!!!

Vinegar comes from inactive wine and air exposure. Fruit flies can bring on vinegar but more than likely not.

First thought. Are you sure you have vinegar and not extremely dry/tart wine?

Second. When and how much sulfite did you add?

Third. We're your carboys filled as high as possible during clearing and aging?

Now if in fact you do have vinegar don't dispair. Red wine vinegar is very good. See the tutorial on making vinegar. Don't dump it.

I threw out part of a huge batch because it was too tart. Then I got smart and tried adding simple syrup to backsweeten it and it turned out to be pretty decent table wine. Make sure you sulfite and sorbate if you backsweeten!!!

I agree with the above posts - don't discard it yet - make sure the wine has turned before doing anything - if it has turned - then make vinegar.

i started a zinfandel blush kit in late november for a friend...all has being going well...i had a 3 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug.
I usually like to know what kit somebody is making. In this case, it's because I don't know any 4 gallon kits.

I would also like to know what steps were followed.

Steve

kit was from eckraus...i don't remember which one (i know, bad, bad record keeper)...and i added the kmeta from the kit, premeasured:)
it actually tastes good, but very tart and leaning towards vinegarish?...i'm basing my info on what looks like to be "mother of vinegar" in the gallon jug yesterday and today, there is ALOT of sediment in the bottom of the 3 gallon this morning...where it had been completely clear!!!
glad to see the tutorial:)))

Last edited:
Congratulations! You now, know how to make vinegar. LOL

DJ and others got it right...November is pretty recent to have vinegar this quick considering you had to go thru primary and secondary fermentation during this time period...lots of times a new winemaker does not yet have a grasp of what the life stages of a wine are....and this lends itself to all of us overreacting about what we are sensing....

i would run the table on this wine of yours and follow procedures and see what develops before anything else is done

it was a 4 week kit...something has definitely happened/changed...i have one more kit left and i may swear off kits after that...i've been much happier with my fresh or frozen fruit wines than the kits, except for maybe the niagra mist/fruit breezing, and those only because everyone loves/wants them so much, not because i love them...

Probably not vinegar, just young, tart wine. Give it some time

Is it one of those Canned kits?? Those things are horrible!!! My brother-in-law made one and swore off making wine after that and then I bought him a real kit and he made it and jumped back in wine making!! If it truly is vinegar then Im sorry to say there is a sanitary problem with Acetobacter microbes. It doesnt just happen from oxidation! Oxidation is how Sherry is made, If it truly is vinegar get it away from all of your other wines as it can easily be transferred to all of your wines! You dont keep vinegar anywhere near your wine by any chance do you.

Probably not vinegar, just young, tart wine. Give it some time
Robie...

That's what I was thinking too. To me, vinegar has a specific strong smell. countrygirl's posts are about tart taste not smell.

Wade:

Thank you for reminding me about those cans that some people call kits. I was wondering why countrygirl only had 4 gallons.

Steve

I think the bigger indicator beyond the taste would be the smell. I would think that even a small amount of acetic acid in your wine could be smelled. I've never made vinegar from wine, of course, but vinegar/acetic acid has a distinct smell.

Acetic acid is a by product of fermentation and is in every wine. Obviously different levels are produced due to varying conditions so maybe thats what you are smelling and that is normal.

i did remove it from the area...i'll be honest...if it's refermented, then i'm letting it runs it's course again...i've not messed with it since this post. it was giving an occassional burp, but isn't now...i guess i will rack it this weekend and see which i've got. i did that second kit (a wildberry zin blush, orchard breezin) and everyone is loving it. i think when i backsweetened (to my friends tastes), the sorbate in the kit wasn't enough...lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back