Rebottling Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ny3299

Junior
Reaction score
I have a batch of bottled Blackberry wine that did not clear properly. I know it won't clear in the bottle. I would also like to sweeten it a little. I was thinking of siphoning carefully back into a carboy, treating with Sorbate and sweetening, let settle and then rebottle when clear. Is there anything wrong with this idea? Any suggestions?
Thank you - Jim

Last edited:
You should be ok. Don't forget to keep your sulfites up (k-meta). Might hit it with pectic enzime to help clear. If that doesn't work you might have to use a fining agent, cold stabalize, warm it up in the 70's or so. Any of these can help clear it up. Make sure it is degassed as the gas can help keep solids in suspension. Good luck with it, Arne.

That would be Potassium Sorbate you want to use along with a proper dose of K-Meta to prevent an accidental fermentation restart if you're planning on back sweetening. Splash pouring back into a carboy will help degass. Top-up as best as you can. Allow a couple of months for sediments to fall

That would be Potassium Sorbate you want to use along with a proper dose of K-Meta to prevent an accidental fermentation restart if you're planning on back sweetening. Splash pouring back into a carboy will help degass. Top-up as best as you can. Allow a couple of months for sediments to fall

Thanks Gary,
He mentioned sorbate in his original post but I should of included it in what I posted. Got to slow down and keep thinking about folks that are just starting out. Arne.

Thanks Arne! Hear ya on the slowing down. I only mentioned the Sorbate because I didn't want him treating his wine with that sweet frozen dessert called Sorbet. Many get those two mixed up:? Of course he did mention backsweetening!!

Great responses and advice - thank you!

I have a batch of bottled Blackberry wine that did not clear properly. I know it won't clear in the bottle. I would also like to sweeten it a little. I was thinking of siphoning carefully back into a carboy, treating with Sorbet and sweetening, let settle and then rebottle when clear. Is there anything wrong with this idea? Any suggestions?
Thank you - Jim

Sounds like a perfect plan.

Thanks Arne! Hear ya on the slowing down. I only mentioned the Sorbate because I didn't want him treating his wine with that sweet frozen dessert called Sorbet. Many get those two mixed up:? Of course he did mention backsweetening!!

Yes, I meant Sorbate - must be a victim of auto-correct...:)

Back