Racking to the secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCTitan

Junior
Reaction score
I racked to the secondary after 8 days and gravity was at the suggested level. Fermentation is continuing nicely. The directions stated that you should have about a liter of space left after the transfer but I ended up with almost a full carboy after avoiding most of the sediment at the bottom. I will need to remove quite a bit before the next step especially knowing I have to add the F-pack. Any problem in having the Carboy almost full at this point other than to have to remove quite a bit before the next step?

might remove some when you degas

I'm sure others will chime in here.

Having more is better! If you have extra, put it in a wine bottle, that's the correct size to hold the wine with the level up in the neck. Then add an air lock to it. You will need it later, at one of your several future rackings.

And I'll pass along something that I just learned last week. When you rack into another carboy, especially if you think you'll have more than the next container will hold, rack into the smaller vessel first so it will be most clear when it's needed for the future rackings. I racked into the larger then the smaller wine bottle and ended up with a half of a bottle of the sediment.

Latest posts

Back