Racking mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldmack3

Reaction score
When vacuume racking out of a barrel it ran out before the carboy was full. It sucked air into the wine for about 2 seconds before I could rip the plug out of the wall in a panic. Seems my original carboy is more than 6 gal.

I want to do something to reduce or prevent oxidation from this.

I have read that asorbic acid will help to reduce oxygen in wine. 1/8 tsp per gal, better if added with a little Kmeta. I have also read it does not do any good if used during bulk ageing, only when botteling. Don't understand why but..oh well.

I have also read of buying an aeration stone at the aquarium store and using it to inject CO2 that is supposed to reduce the O2 somehow.

Any thoughts? :a1

Thanks
les

I don't see where you have a big problem here. You just need to top off and put on an airlock.

Relax! a couple of seconds isnt going to hurt a thing! Dang, wine is not that fragile. A couple of days I would panic, a couple of Hours, no real problem, a couple of seconds? I cant even think of worrying about that.
By the way, after a few more batches it becomes real fun because you realize you dont have to sweat the small stuff!

Actually I was referring to air being pumped into the carboy from the vacuume action. When vacuume racking the inlet tube goes to the bottom of the carboy to prevent splashing. Therefore the air sucked in has the effect of foaming the wine. Always top off to within 1/2' of the stopper and my so2 was good so perhaps no harm no foul.

Latest posts

Back