racking cane going bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you found something. Because I love adding thingies to my wine, I have dealt with this several times.
Just curious, do you think it reduced a lot of the gas? Every time this has happened to me, I have very little or no gas in my wine. Even in my DB I racked yesterday.

Tess, Here is what I recommend until you get the A n one which will forever change your winemaking world.

Get one of those carboy stoppers with two holes for racking canes If you are racking from one carboy to the other, place it on the sending carboy next to the recieving carboy. put a racking cane in one of the holes and another cane with tube in receiving carboy. blow into the open hole in the sending carboy and wine will go to the receiving carboy and syphoning will take place. You don't have to touch the wine with you "dirty mouth" (your description lol). after the two carboys get an even amount of wine in them, the syponing will stop. Then the half empty sending carboy so you can lift it higher to finish.

If you are racking from a bucket, place the two hole stopper on the receiving carboy and suck the wine into it and syphoning will occur.

I was just joking about the mouth thing lol
Im getting the pump for Christmas so I dont think I want to buy anything else right now sense the problem is fixed. thanks it might help someone else though ;)

Glad you found something. Because I love adding thingies to my wine, I have dealt with this several times.
Just curious, do you think it reduced a lot of the gas? Every time this has happened to me, I have very little or no gas in my wine. Even in my DB I racked yesterday.

What the fact it was sucking air? lol I dont know yet I just racked the one brunello and its sets as is for 10 days.
I sheet rack my DB anyway so there is not much gas ( Hold the tube towards the top of the carboy and let it run down the side in a sheet to release the CO2) I still use my drill and whip but no more then a few mins does the Job

You kill me.....I got disgusted with a batch and just could not get it to degass, it was pretty thick.
I bought a drywall paddle, put it on my hammer drill and degassed in about 2 minutes....but
wine was everywhere, floor walls, me, ceiling, etc.....never used it again.

jamesngalveston said:
You kill me.....I got disgusted with a batch and just could not get it to degass, it was pretty thick. I bought a drywall paddle, put it on my hammer drill and degassed in about 2 minutes....but wine was everywhere, floor walls, me, ceiling, etc.....never used it again.

LOL! What'd you use? A brew bucket?!

Would it be air your cane was sucking? If the syphon was submerged in the wine then maybe it was gas being released

cheers

Tess: if your canes are wearing out, you might consider getting a stainless steel racking cane.

The hoses come in two sizes (from FVW) tight fit and easy fit. You might have the larger diameter and need to clamp.

jamesngalveston said:
yea.. a 10 gallon....was a mess for sure.

ROFLOL! I wish I could have seen it!

Drill and paddle works GREAT in a carboy FYI. I clamped a wooden spoon to a 1" paddle bit for one of my smaller necked carboys and that worked great too. But I wouldn't try it in a brew bucket.

problem has been solved guys read above :) I do appropriate all the people who took the time to answer <3

Back