racking cane going bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I guess like everything else racking canes wear out. I really have to pump and pump to get it flowing the other day. It freaked me out cause I thought it might not happen and I pictured myself with my dirty mouth siphoning it :) Just messing that would never happen. time for a New racking cane. anyone know how long they last about??? Its not a year old. Christmas is coming up!! Get my ALL N 1

Last edited:
Noooo. I want one bad but I have my first and probably only grandbaby on the way. Every dime I have to spare is going to my baby Carter. lol. He will be spoiled rotten but Iv bought all I can buy. My husband is buying me the all N 1 for Christmas.

you have to remember, Iv only been at this 8 months lol

Tess, check to see if you are leaking air between the inner tube and the tubing that you have on the end. If you don't have a good seal there, you will not have a vacuum and it will be hard to get working. I have a small hose clamp on mine because I was leaking air at that point. If you don't have a small hose clamp, try electrical tape or duct tape.

100_0552.jpg

100_0553.jpg

Thanks Rocky, I will check it out for sure. I think Iv Kmetta-ed it to death and it wore away at the rubber but I will check it tomorrow and try it with water first. Nothing like having everything all ready to go and its not working!! I do have a couple of those clamps

yeah, that rubber piece does not fit so tightly. I also found that the trapped carbon dioxide in the wine was being released during siphoning and killing my siphon. Oh and bits of must in the cane are so much fun!

I'm still learning, learning.

Tess:

Assumption: the fact that you are "pumping" means that you are using an Auto-Siphon NOT a standard racking cane.

As a devoted Auto-Siphon user, I have 2 comments...

1) the bend is prone to cracking check there. For me, that has been the usual cause of problems. When pumping, try to push down on the centre tube not on the bent part. If this is the problem, you MAY be able to cut the bend off, and put the hose on the remaining centre tube.

2) I have never had to use a clamp to keep the hose on. For those that don't know, I ran a small Ferment on Premises for 5 years, using Auto-Siphons for racking. (That's up to 100 kits on the go at a time.) The trick (IMO) is to use hose with the correct interior diameter (id).

Finally, Tess, a standard racking cane will NOT replace the centre tube of an Auto-Siphon, as the bottom is different. Buon Vino used to sell replacement centre tubes for Fermtech. I have no idea if they still do. I have no idea what it would cost, especially with shipping. A truly EXCELLENT LHBS will sell them. I'd try to help you out, but my store closed in 2007, and YES I stocked/sold parts for the Auto-Siphon.

Steve

Thanks you guys!! The good thing about this place is you can get 10 answers and recommendations and every one is good!! I will check. I need to because its time to rack! Thank you guys sooooo much!!

Tess said:
Thanks you guys!! The good thing about this place is you can get 10 answers and recommendations and every one is good!! I will check. I need to because its time to rack! Thank you guys sooooo much!!

I donno that EVERY one is good.... I hope nobody ever follows my "duct tape 'n a haymer" instructions for how to cork a bottle.

Tess, another thought is you may have something stuck in the bottom where the float bobs up and down. I have had raisins or other large pieces stuck several times and it will suck air like crazy. Once you clear the object, it will be fine. Unless of course you get frustrated and whack it against the edge of the sink to get it out. That doesn't work too well. The result is a $20. temper tantrum.

One Of my LHBS carries the replacement canes for the auto siphon. Keystone Homebrew in Pa, I think Jason posts here under that user name.

Tess, another thought is you may have something stuck in the bottom where the float bobs up and down. I have had raisins or other large pieces stuck several times and it will suck air like crazy. Once you clear the object, it will be fine. Unless of course you get frustrated and whack it against the edge of the sink to get it out. That doesn't work too well. The result is a $20. temper tantrum.

Lori, You are a genius lol. I went down and looked at it with the flash light. My eyes arent what they use to be and SURE ENOUGH!! there was a clove stuck in it.
I got it out but now Im wondering what that clove did to my high end Brunello kit that I just racked. A hint of clove :)

Well that clove did soak in some k-meta a few mins before I racked the Brunello . Maybe that helped a bit to declove the cloviness :) James, I keep my wine room in lower light so that dosnt help but yes stronger reading glasses!!

I thought my computer monitor was going bad, I went and got new glasses,and shoot my monitor is just fine....
Dang it, monitor are cheaper then glasses now.

I just but the cheap reading glasses from the drug store. I think do need real glasses but at the rate I lose these. Im afraid!! lol

Back