racking after Super-kleer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsxdragon

Reaction score
I tried searching and haven't found any definite answers yet... after using s.k. should i rack next day? week?
Thanks,
Dan

I tried searching and haven't found any definite answers yet... after using s.k. should i rack next day? week?
Thanks,
Dan

When I use super kleer, I will generally wait a couple weeks so that the lees have a chance to compact. I so far have not noticed any negative effects of this approach.

If your working with a white wine the answer is easy. Rack when you can read a newspaper held on the other side of the carboy. I have had super kleer drop out of a wine in a day or two and still be a little hazy. If that happens just wait because you'll see that haze slowly drop out to the bottom of the carboy too.
If its a red wine try the flashlight trick. Shine the light so you can see if there is anything still floating around or distorting the light.
Even though the package says it will clear a wine quickly I have seen it take a few weeks to get a stubborn pear wine absolutely clear for me.

3-4 weeks min before racking. You want a "firm" sediment on the bottom before racking.
What is the temp?

3-4 weeks min before racking. You want a "firm" sediment on the bottom before racking.
What is the temp?

around 65 when i started, but due to the massive ice/snow dumping we took... last i checked around 60

Last edited:
Back